Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
steven newman

Check a square?

Rate this topic

33 minutes ago, steven newman said:

Quickest way to get a framing square out of square......just drop it.:ArguingSmileys:...ever wonder why some of the older framing squares have "dimples" where the two arms meet?   A center punch is used to correct said dropped squares  back into square.:TwoThumbsUp:...count the dimples, and figure out how clumsy that Carpenter was....:BangingHead:

Mine was new and i had to dimple it. Shouda checked in the store.

One time..while shopping for a speed square....had to sort through almost the entire rack, to find one that was square...

Find a shelf in the store, close to a post that hold the shelf...and check the outsides of the square for...square. 

2 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Steve's neighbor, "Yeah, can I borrow a square."

Steve:  "Umm, no I only have one."                          Of 15 different types!  :JawDrop:

Now for those wondering what's the difference and who cares anyway.

This is a Carpenters square.

johnson-carpenter-squares-cs10-64_1000.jpg.1d77372e463d02312952e63bf4c48e29.jpg

Special thanks to @steven newman and @Gene Howe for posting stuff about squares years ago.  Got me away from carpentry squares and into using the ones Steve has show for more precise work.  Made a huge difference.

But I lack the collection that @steven newman and others have.

I don't think I've used that framing square since we built the house. Well, I might have used to square up the two slabs a river table. 

I never use a nail set to set my framing square I simple strike it on the table depending on how it out of square. Works like a charm. As far a small squares if there out there used for general work like decks. Otherwise I use them for furniture or cabinetry...

I was out on a cabinet job when we notice the framing square out. The old carpenter who was I  his 70's just Wacked it on the floor and was square again. 

A speed square is worst squares I ever bought....

Edited by BillyJack

42 minutes ago, BillyJack said:

Never bought one that was actually square out of the store. I think older maybe 80-90's they might have n been more dependable but the newer one are just stamped crap.

Is there a way to square a speed square? Luckily both of mine are OK. 

I have mine more  for marking angles....like for rafters and such...Plastic ones..you can strike a new line along the edge, and whittle to that line...clean up with a block plane.  I prefer the plastic speed squares to the cheaper metal things...

I'd rather not abuse squares, by smacking down on something to "Square it up",,,,too good a chance of either going too far...bending one of the blades...or causing a crack in the corner... I have more respect for my tools.

BTW: NOT a nail set...use the center punch you use for drilling in metal.... much neater, more control. 

Edited by steven newman

With our version of "This Old House" the last thing you wanted to use was a square, or level.

If you tried to square it, it looked angled. If you tried to level it, it looked crooked. :CoveringEyes:...:PullingHair:...:BangingHead:

Edit: I should have mentioned this is a pre 1870 farmhouse.

Edited by Larry Buskirk

Ok I understand how to square up a framing square

but

how do you square up a carpentry square---the ones with the wooden "handle"---now that I've gotten rid of all the ones I inherited.

You can't punch the outside or inside corner due to the wood