Check a square?

steven newman

20 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Ok I have all of the above squares mentioned but use them very little. My go to is a Starrett combination with either the traditional head or a protractor head in 4, 6 and 12 inch. Yes I know they can be trued but would have to look that up to do it. Now most of the work I do is 6 inch or less.

Now tell me am I wrong in my useage?

If it works it don't matter how you got there.

Oops, sorry Gerald. Don't know how that happened. That, apparently DIDN'T work.

My orange one came from Menard's.....I checked it with a couple framing squares they had.  

IF I need a 19 or 20 degree cut...it has those markings, among a lot of others....mark the line, set the mitre box to the line...

1178636597_PorchProjectfrontofsteps.JPG.0f38c4370965682244b20d1725511a5b.JPG

Which came in handy. All bevels here were 19 degrees....

Decided to "test" out one of the combo squares.....a 12"  Defiance by Stanley No. 122

741530530_Checkasquarelogo.JPG.bc98ebde9d6188f6335992679097f39e.JPG

same as before.  Have a jointed edge on a board,  make two lines....mark one, flip the square over, and mark a second line beside the first...

780580160_Checkasquarecombosquare.JPG.dc2f4e684965398da7e511f1288bae1e.JPG

IF the "gap" is the same all the way across....should be square....can also double check..

1142476752_Checkasquaredoublechecked.JPG.2f6f22afb962274662d1688fd09e1a6d.JPG

needed an extra hand....one end is up, the other laying on the board...but..no gap. 

Use these type of squares more for..striking a line along an edge....to mark where a groove would go.   Can be used to check a depth setting, too. 

Note:  on the ends of these type of squares, you will usually find a notch.....that is where a pencil would go, to mark a line....remember to either use the notch, or not....but not both, as the line without the notch will be different from the one made with the notch...

Edited by steven newman