Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

lew

Soliciting opinions

Rate this topic

My old Delta iron bed (1440) is on its' last leg. Turning a bowl is painstakingly slow. The motor is strong but alas the reeves drive will not keep tension on the belt even though I've replaced the springs and belt- drive pulleys are no longer available.

I thought about getting a Oneway 2000 series but it would be difficult to plugin at the homeless shelter after my divorce. Pretty much the same applies to a Powermatic.

So, on my budget, I'm looking at a Jet 719500. It's a little more powerful than the old Delta and has a few other minor differences that I can work around but it looks like it might work for me.  And, in November it goes on sale at a 15% discount with no shipping as there is a Jet dealer about a mile away.

I guess I'm asking is there something about this lathe that should make me wary. At my age, I know it will be the last one I buy so I won't want any surprises down the road.

Thanks for any input/suggestions and/or character assassinations 

:throbbinghead:

1 hour ago, lew said:

I thought about getting a Oneway 2000 series but it would be difficult to plugin at the homeless shelter after my divorce. Pretty much the same applies to a Powermatic.

Lew,

Check Ebay! you can probably find a good used reeves drive. I see parted out ones listed all the time.

4 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

Check Ebay! you can probably find a good used reeves drive. I see parted out ones listed all the time.

Thanks, Larry. Seems this is a common problem with this style of lathe. The pulleys were made of aluminum. Most owners have said their pulleys have cracked/broken. With mine, the motor shaft key slot has worn to where the two halves will no longer engage at the lowest speed, among other things.

For the past year, I've been searching turning groups in hopes of finding replacements. The closest I've found was from Grizzly. Folks say it works but because of the different diameters (compared to Delta) the higher speeds don't work. 

1 hour ago, lew said:

I thought about getting a Oneway 2000 series but it would be difficult to plugin at the homeless shelter after my divorce.

So you are just going for the dog house?:BugEyeSmiley:

My only concern would be spindle size as the Jet is 1.25" and I believe the Delta is just 1".  Will you have to buy all new accessories.  Some chucks can have a bushing replaced but face plates and other things can't.  You can install an adapter down to 1" but I am not a fan of that idea.  Just my opinion. 

Lew, 

Could you post a couple photos of your lathe, including the model no. tag?

Also what year is the machine?

I can do some back channel searching on a couple of other websites.

Keep an eye on Craig's List. You might find something pretty nice for much cheaper.

Lew, I have done a couple demos on that lathe so while I have used it my experience with it is limited. It impressed me as a nice piece of machinery. The club I belong to has 7 of the older 1642EVS lathes and they get heavy use. Over all, they have held up well. One of our club members works at a local wood working store and they have started carrying the laguna line of lathes. He currently turns on a PM 3520 but says the laguna lathes are worth a serious look.

Lew its not hard to replace the reeves drive with regular 4 and 5 belt stepped pulleys. I bought a wore out lathe just to see if I could do it and it works good for me but I'm not in to changing speeds with a flip of a switch or a dial in speed setting so no big deal there... I fixed the motor where it would slide back and forth to line up with all the pulleys as needed.

Lee our club has the 1642EVS and it Isa very good lathe. One club member has a 1640EVS and he likes it but had a problem with the design of the headstock causing problems with some turnings involving the on/off switch. I am not sure butt think they have upgraded the switch.

28 minutes ago, Gerald said:

I am not sure butt think they have upgraded the switch.

On several machines I have this has been done.  Not really for issues but for convenience.  These magnetic paddles switches are easy to install and give you familiarity with how to turn off.  Verses 9 different types of switches on 9 different machines.  A little time and some though on where the switch works best and you will enjoy your shop time more, and be safer.

my 2 cents worth..:JawDrop:

22 hours ago, Gerald said:

Lee our club has the 1642EVS and it Isa very good lathe. One club member has a 1640EVS and he likes it but had a problem with the design of the headstock causing problems with some turnings involving the on/off switch. I am not sure butt think they have upgraded the switch.

Thanks for the information, Gerald. Sounds like this may be a good choice for me.