Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Ron Altier

Shellac lb cut?

Rate this topic

I want a sanding sealer and decided to check the web for the home made variety. I see where shellac will work OK. However this puzzled me.

"As for a sanding sealer, I usually just use shellac. Typically a 1 lb cut."

Does he mean diluted 50%? (with alcohol?)

When I was a pup, an old painter shared his sealer formula to prevent the splotchy appearance on stained pine.   It worked great, but unfortunately, I've forgotten the exact ratio.  It was something like 1 shellac to 3 alcohol.  I don't think he specified any particular type of shellac.  I used it several times, but then it faded into the recesses.

Jim

Ron, a 1lb cut simply put is a one to one ratio, 1lb of Shellac to a gallon of alcohol. A 2lb cut of shellac is 2 lbs of shellac to one gallon of alcohol, 2:1 ratio. All measurements are to one gallon of alcohol. The more lbs the thicker the finish.

So no, if you diluted your shellac by 50%, that would be a 2lb cut. If you dilute your shellac 100% with alcohol, that would be a 1lb cut.

2 hours ago, John Morris said:

Ron, a 1lb cut simply put is a one to one ratio, 1lb of Shellac to a gallon of alcohol. A 2lb cut of shellac is 2 lbs of shellac to one gallon of alcohol, 2:1 ratio. All measurements are to one gallon of alcohol. The more lbs the thicker the finish.

So no, if you diluted your shellac by 50%, that would be a 2lb cut. If you dilute your shellac 100% with alcohol, that would be a 1lb cut.

That's not exactly right, but close enough.
https://www.finewoodworking.com/2007/05/07/mixing-shellac

http://www.refinishwizard.com/washcoatsolids.htm

But if you are just interested in a sealer, SealCoat is a 2 lb cut of dewaxed shellac and works great.

Sorry I've been away a lot.   Been working until 10 every night to get the theater set ready for Friday.  Yesterday afternoon a good friend was killed in a freak accident.  Headed northbound on interstate when a southbound semi blew a left front tire, jumped the median, and head on crash to her car and another northbound semi, killing both of those drivers.   Very kind person who will be much missed by the whole community.

Edited by kmealy

6 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Keith I saw a report of that accident in the news, quite a tragedy and heartbreaking. Condolences to all.

This article only scratches the surface of all the kind and loving things she did https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local-obituaries/warren-county-official-killed-crash-one-most-giving-people-community/iWUbcBpWJSmGWoMrEw5I1J/?fbclid=IwAR35bTDRWuvYHzuRE6N8b86VTynWenmUW-o8SWSAe5Hnv_4jJ5A27vh3g-g  No doubt there will be hundreds of people at her funeral, overwhelming the 70 or so capacity of the little church she served.  

Edited by kmealy

I use dewaxed shellac as the main finish on the majority of my projects. It’s definitely more than just a sanding sealer. Also, it’s helpful to make sure the denatured alcohol you use is at least 190 proof. The home centers here sell a brand called Kleen Stirp Green that works great. If you do go with flakes, I’d recommend visiting Shellac.net. They have a huge assortment and varieties of shellacs and the site is packed with great information on using them. Prices are the best I’ve found inside the US and the quality and freshness of the flakes is great.  And just to clarify, a pound cut refers to the amount of flakes combined with a gallon of alcohol. So a 2lb. cut is 2lbs. flakes mixed with one gallon alcohol. 5lb. cut is 5 pounds flakes, 1 gallon alcohol, etc. You can of course reduce the ratios so you don’t have mix so much at once. 

On 9/18/2019 at 8:29 PM, kmealy said:

That's not exactly right, but close enough.

Hey Kieth, I think I stated basically the exact same thing?

Common shellac recipes
Dry shellac is mixed with denatured alcohol in a particular ratio called a cut, which refers to the amount of shellac in pounds dissolved in a gallon of alcohol. A 2-lb. cut of shellac is 2 lb. of shellac resin dissolved in a gallon of alcohol. A 5-lb. cut would be 5 lb. of resin dissolved in a gallon, etc. When mixing shellac from flakes or buttons, you can scale down the ratio of cut to make a suitable amount. For example, adding 2 oz. of flakes to 8 oz. of alcohol produces a half-pint of 2-lb.-cut shellac.

WWW.FINEWOODWORKING.COM

Shellac is a natural resin that's derived from the secretions of the Lac bug--an insect that feeds off trees indigenous to India and...

On 9/18/2019 at 8:29 PM, kmealy said:

Yesterday afternoon a good friend was killed in a freak accident.

I am completely sorry Kieth, man it's crazy how we wake up in the morning expecting a completely normal day, and things like this happen, to good people too, for no reason other than chance, sorry Keith.

On 9/20/2019 at 2:32 PM, John Morris said:

I am completely sorry Kieth, man it's crazy how we wake up in the morning expecting a completely normal day, and things like this happen, to good people too, for no reason other than chance, sorry Keith.

She was very active in the church, the community, and several outreach efforts.    A southbound semi blew a front tire, cross the median and hit her car and another semi head on, killing both drivers on the spot.   She'll be sorely missed.  She was a real pillar of our rural community, always with a smile and a kind and helping heart.

Drove by the accident spot yesterday and know she's in a better place "singing with the angels."