John Morris

Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! September 16, 2019

Rate this topic

A Bradford had a split tree trunk.  A gust or two of wind blew off one and I was able to get it for free.  It's been drying for about 18 months.  Today, got it cut into 2" X 2" on the bandsaw.  A new thread coming in a few days.  Now that the wood is cut to workable pieces, I don't have to remove it from underneath the Shopsmith to move it out.  What a relief!

Edited by FlGatorwood

11 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

A Bradford had a split tree trunk.  A gust or two of wind blew off one and I was able to get it for free.  It's been drying for about 18 months.  Today, got it cut into 2" X 2" on the bandsaw.  A new thread coming in a few days.  Now that the wood is cut to workable pieces, I don't have to remove it from underneath the Shopsmith to move it out.  What a relief!

A note about Bradford Pear is that turning it green will give you better color ,actually very similar to cherry, and letting it dry will give more of a gray color. Also watch for that curl. I have had some great results with curl in BP.

Have had a busy weekend getting ready for the Church Widows Banquet and they had a great time last night. Had a experience Saturday sanding a plank 2 x 16 x 13 ft. Took me a while to figure out why getting snipe in the middle of this thing and I notice he is lifting the board in the middle . I just do not have a good flat place to do that long and heavy lumber. The board was cypress.

I turned one today.  At some time, it had a limb that grew off it and it had been cut.  The tree healed over.  When I cut it to a 2" X 2" , it had a spot that looked like clay.  I assumed that it would turn off.  Oh, how wrong I was.  The deeper I went, the piece of wood revealed some bark from a very long time ago and the spindle almost came into 2 pieces.  It is very pretty wood, but it has a lot of snipe.  I roughed it in with a roughing gouge, then uses a parting tool to get some rings down to near the size.  Then I used the skew to get it down to size until it was smooth and near size.  When I stopped it, it had many mini-pits all over.  I guess I need to sharpen my skew and practice on something else.  And, yes, it has the appearance of cherry.  Very pretty.