Also I think everyone would agree with me when I say the faster I run the motor on the 3 1/4hp router the smoother the wood will be. I also think the Sears bits are nothing but high speed steel bits. I have a box full of router bits from when router bits were nothing but high speed steel and it was no time before they would do nothing but burn the wood...I now have a few router bits that have three cutters on each bit instead of two and yes I can see the difference on how long they last. Haven't had no money for the 4 carbide cutter buggers.

I think some of you have let the name Shopsmith get to you in the wrong way!

11 hours ago, Al B said:

I've had this set for several years. Used it on my TS with good results, but will admit it scared the H out of me. Haven't used the set since I built my router table.

Lots safer...IMHO. A rule to live by, at least in the shop, if it scares ya, don't do it. :BugEyeSmiley:

I've had the 3-blade head for 45 years, bought it at the same time I got my RS. Always used it with the motor tilted so the shaft was straight down. Used a 2-piece fence, with as little clearance as possible. I made many yards of molding, most of it turned out very good, and not a single mishap. And always feed S-L-O-W-L-Y!!!

John

And NO, I haven't used it since I built my router table. :blush:

Edited by HARO50

On 9/14/2019 at 9:46 AM, Smallpatch said:

I also think the Sears bits are nothing but high speed steel bits. I have a box full of router bits from when router bits were nothing but high speed steel and it was no time before they would do nothing but burn the wood.

For that reason I probably wouldn't use it.

Edited by CharlieL

I had that same set and used it on my 10" Craftsman saw. I wasn't crazy about using it. It has been years ago, when Craftsman meant quality and the table saw was a dandy. As I recall, the speed of my saw didn't produce great results and especially on very hard wood. I have had it for years..........only in the box. My router now does all that, better and easier.

14 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

outlawed in Kali; he wouldn't even be able to own it!

Don't be surprised if they are.  :JawDrop:

12 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

I'll bet they are illegal in England. Dado sets are. 

Yeah the arbors on all TS are short, you couldn't use one if you wanted without some work.  In the trades if you do so, and have an issue, you are liable.  They feel (some safety people that don't actually use a TS) that a router is better equipped for the job of dado's.