Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Dear folks, we are going to start to purge the Free For All Forum of it's thousands of topics, we are having to conserve valuable server space. If you have anything you want to save in the Free For All Forum, please start saving your items as you see fit over the next week.

Next weekend the topics will start to disappear, up to the last couple pages.

Thank you for your understanding.

Attention: @Chips N Dust

Our Free For All Forum will be purged starting September 13, 2019. In order to conserve valuable server space. Please save any content you would like to save to your personal desktop PC before then. Please see this topic in order to leave any comments or concerns. Free For All Purge

Thank you

Someone jumped the gun.

40 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

Someone jumped the gun.

Did a little test purge with the Tabs on the Weather topic and Good Clean Fun and I think Grumpy ol Men and Coffee. I initially wasn't going to say anything because a while back I stated those long topics would be trimmed down periodically and you all agreed to that. As I was trimming down those topics, I noticed our community was moving a tad quicker, then I thought to self, hey, lets purge most of the Free For All, most of the content is only valid for a day, just hit and run posts that only make sense in the moment.

It was then I decided to inform the community and give warning to save content for the rest of the Free For All if you so desire.

Just a reminder of what was stated in the past.

PS: By the way, topics that were hidden due to content posted that goes against our community policies, was and will not be deleted, those posts have been held for evidence in case of future inquiries.

Back in the old days when I was developing databases, I had one for the commanding officers written communications.  It would retain the records for 6 months before moving it to a history file.  History file purged every time the program was closed of any records over the age of 3 years.  It kept the database small but records were searchable back for 3.5 years.  They were happy to have that as the one written dBase III did not have a history file and all records were purged each January 2.  Mine was Visual Basic and Access tables.  Oh, those were the days.  

Not a big deal just referring to the date of such doings.  Would have been nice to leave a week or two for reference.

If it helps, there are a few old posts in the old pages of free for all similar to this with many posts to them.

Page 44  For Dog Lovers

Page 46  Food, Grub and Eats

Page 50  Fishing Fun

These could go away without notice.

While going through many of the Free For All items, I found there are some great content there, such as member family images, graduations, grand kids, life milestones.

I cannot delete those, I'll have to go through it all and delete the hit and run comic stuff, but I really want to retain the more serious Free For All topics, this will take some time folks.

Just now, Smallpatch said:

I for one use Free For All quite often for I never felt what I'm thinking don't fit no where else. Oh well!

We are keeping it Jess, just going to do away with the one liner topics and comic relief stuff. The more meaningful topics will stay.

Kinda like the subject I am fixin to comment on and that is how I am getting rid of the animals who have been using my insulation as their homes. The area between the black plastic and the floor joist.. A double wide is not the best kind of home to start with but this was something new to us in more ways than one...Which is too late in life to try and change. 

My problem is trying to get rid of who all is residing under my house without having to take the wild cats we happened to be feeding for a very long time and pay a boarding home 20 dollars for each cat per day which I can't afford...

I have come up with a very good way to do this and I will go through it all if anyone is interested but it is a very long process to be sure I am not trapping animals in there that will cause more hardship on my body once the smell starts spreading around....A lot to think about in the form of what ifs.  

Guys, we like comedy here, funny life stories are great, just understand that the memes that get uploaded to our community take a lot of space, images take space, not text, for example you could have 1000 posts in a topic full of text and it only takes about 500 kilobytes of space, you upload one meme in one post, and it may take up to a few megabytes in server space. That's what we are trying to reduce, the memes that get posted.

Now that's not to say you cannot post memes, post all you want, but just know that now and then, we'll need to purge it all down in order to conserve space.

If it ever comes down to it, if we are really in a bind, anything woodworking related will "ALWAYS" be priority over Off Topic posts, if we had to, in order to avoid paying more money for more server space, we'd have to delete Off Topic Free For All completely. Woodworking is priority.

We are not there yet, I have other plans in the pipeline that may help bring in more funding to help us secure more server space. Like another sponsor.

Of course if you use this forum, and love being here, folks can always donate to help us pay our bills, and quite possibly purchase more server space.

You can do that here:

https://thepatriotwoodworker.com/clients/donations/

We are an all volunteer force here, nobody including me gets one thin penny for our efforts, so rest assured your funding will be directed to worthy areas in our community.

Thanks for your patience guys, and thanks so much for being here, without you all, we'd have no forum!

3 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Well Jesse, I'd like to read about your adventures in ridding your walls of critters

I agree, never know when I might be asked to help someone with something like this.  When doing the deck refurb I had to build a concrete block wall to seal the upper portion of the crawlspace for the building the deck was attached to.  Simple job, once I got past all the roots.  Took me several nights of work to get them out of the way.  Then still had to dig some for the footings for the wall.  Never know when someone might see this and get an idea, or use your solution to fix a problem.

353711999_Deckrefurb(8).jpg.aed11a4188dab2a07faef0de41f60341.jpg  903150817_Deckrefurb(10).jpg.da3ec22583e5ff4fefd971aa95408253.jpg  182438748_Deckrefurb(11).jpg.12cc13d3370830d426573152a6ee8e09.jpg

1360539645_Deckrefurb(12).jpg.4d7f3b1ac328786f32303d9169188c53.jpg

8 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Of course if you use this forum, and love being here, folks can always donate to help us pay our bills, and quite possibly purchase more server space.

You can do that here:

https://thepatriotwoodworker.com/clients/donations/

I saw it said $0.00 of $1,000,000.00

Kinda bothered me as I enjoy this site and post here daily.  Added a small donation, wanted to see if the link worked.

Edited by Woodbutcherbynight
updated

1 minute ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Do I need Paypal or something to do this?  I did not see an explanation, now it could be there and I failed to see it. 

You don't need Paypal Gunny, just follow the process, and when it comes time to pull the lever, you'll be prompted to use a card, but you don't need to be a member of Paypal. All transactions are handled through Paypal's secure server.

4 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

I took a chance and did that, updated my post accordingly.  It killed me we were at 0.00.

Gunny, from the bottom of our collective hearts, I want to thank you for your donation, thank you!

27 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Didn't even know that donations were needed or accepted. I stuck a little in the kitty. I've more than gotten my $ worth in help, friendship and, enjoyment on TPW. 

Gene, that was very nice of you to do. Thank you again from all here on TPW, I don't publicize the donation feature here, we try to keep our community running with the three sponsors we have, but we are always accepting donations, and they are always needed.

Typically we have had a Summer raffle if you all remember in the past, and we were able to generate additional funding to carry us through the rest of the year, but this year I was kind of out of commission through much of the summer, and not really ready to take on the additional duty of organizing a fundraiser for our community, my mind was elsewhere, so we are short, I skipped this years Summer raffle, we are very tight, but additional monies by donations are always very much appreciated.

I never would have even brought the donation feature up, but it obviously came out in the post above, nothing I was planning, it just came out.

Thanks again Gene, very much.