some advanced joinery found on the internet

kmealy

Strange to say being in the medical field is that probably the original word was tendon . Cptn Eddie says it was in his text books when he went to trade school in New Orleans. Not sure but I think that one of the old timers on the old Wood forums also called it tendon, might have been Ralph. Could not find a written reference just a note that the old timers did say this.

Do we all agree for fine furniture the best joints are M&T (Case) and Dove Tail (DT) Drawers or boxes?

For M&T the Tenon is to be 1/3 the thickness of the peice so if the T of the peice is 3/4 then the tenon is 1/4.

But if for examply you are building a building then T is 1.5 or 2 and tenon is .5 or .66

Do you prefer hidden M & T or exposed M & T?

Do you prefer half blind DT or thru DT?

Personally I prefer half blind DT and hidden M & T.

57 minutes ago, Michael Thuman said:

Do you prefer hidden M & T or exposed M & T?

Do you prefer half blind DT or thru DT?

Personally I prefer half blind DT and hidden M & T.

Kinda, depends on the project. On my Morris chairs and A&C furniture, I use through tenons. For most other applications, they're hidden.

19 hours ago, Gerald said:

Strange to say being in the medical field is that probably the original word was tendon . Cptn Eddie says it was in his text books when he went to trade school in New Orleans. Not sure but I think that one of the old timers on the old Wood forums also called it tendon, might have been Ralph. Could not find a written reference just a note that the old timers did say this.

We happen to have the answer to that Gerald, you can view it here at:

THEPATRIOTWOODWIKI.ORG

Wiki

17 minutes ago, Gerald said:

enlightening but still do not see reference to tendon.

As far as I know, Tendon was never used in the context of mortise and tenon. Capt. Eddie may have mistaken it for something else, and old timers use words they been using for years, even if in error. I'd wager Tendon is not nor never was used in the context of joinery, but only in error.

You'll probably never find reference to Tendon for the joint, because it was never used in the proper terminology.

1 hour ago, John Morris said:

As far as I know, Tendon was never used in the context of mortise and tenon. Capt. Eddie may have mistaken it for something else, and old timers use words they been using for years, even if in error. I'd wager Tendon is not nor never was used in the context of joinery, but only in error.

You'll probably never find reference to Tendon for the joint, because it was never used in the proper terminology.

I’d agree with this. Historical examples as far back as the 1500s (and perhaps further back?) refer to the joint as a mortice and tenon. The OP is the first time I’ve ever heard it called a tendon. 

5 hours ago, Adam Welker said:

I’d agree with this. Historical examples as far back as the 1500s (and perhaps further back?) refer to the joint as a mortice and tenon. The OP is the first time I’ve ever heard it called a tendon. 

Google    mortise and tendon   there is no shortage of reference to it.  This is the first link to show when I did.  Happily it was a reference to a question in their forums.

Mortise and Tendon Joints | This Old House

https://www.thisoldhouse.com › discussions › topic › mortise-and-tendon-j...

Dec 11, 2010 - Is there a trick to making a mortise and tendon joint? I use a tendoning jig and mortise machine. I make both the same size. Sometimes they go ...

1 hour ago, HandyDan said:

Google    mortise and tendon   there is no shortage of reference to it.  This is the first link to show when I did.  Happily it was a reference to a question in their forums.

Mortise and Tendon Joints | This Old House

https://www.thisoldhouse.com › discussions › topic › mortise-and-tendon-j...

Dec 11, 2010 - Is there a trick to making a mortise and tendon joint? I use a tendoning jig and mortise machine. I make both the same size. Sometimes they go ...

I wouldn’t doubt that such a misnomer exists by any stretch. Just goes to show you can’t believe everything you read on those internets. 

4 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Not denying you won't find it used in places Dan, but I'd challenge anyone to find an official reference to it, from whence and thence did it come from? Is there any historical accuracy to "tendon"? I think folks just mispronounced Mortise and Tenon, they thought they were hearing tendon, but what was being said was tenon. Then they continued to use tendon inaccurately. It's like Chimney, some folks pronounce it "Chimminy" but that is wrong. Just because it was said wrongly doesn't make it correct. I'd like to challenge anyone to find Tendon in any reference type such as a book, magazine, any written literature etc. What a neat subject! I love this detective stuff! :)