Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Few, The Proud, The Patriot Woodworker's! Make no bones about it, we aren't many, but we are very proud of our community here!

Rate this topic

My son recently bought a used mortiser, as he will be building several railings for his log home. The seller told him not to leave the machine running when not actually cutting mortises, as it WILL heat up. Also, we noticed a bit of a squeal when the bit is turning in the chisel. So, a question for all you woodworkers with experience in using these machines.... Should there be some kind of lube applied to the chisel/bit? And if so, what is safe to use that will not interfere with the finish?

John

Try some Tri-Flow.  I found it at Ace Hardware.  LINK

635785754_triflow.jpg.4bc87ccc3584c14a07125d0a32f92654.jpg

Per Stick it doesn't affect finish and stays with the metal a long time.  I have used it on the TS trunnions to keep them lubed so they don't squeak.  Apply when it even starts to hint at squeaking, usually 3-4 months.  A little goes a long way.  If the noise goes away it is in the bits.  If not other issues in the mortise.

If you have some paste wax that you use to wax the top of your table saw or bandsaw, you could try that on the bit.  If it quietens, then like others said, it is a bit problem. The wax won't transfer or interfere on finish.  Just something that may be in your stock to try.