Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! September 2nd, 2019

John Morris

That's an amazing piece of work - the Conifer addition I'm talking about. Thanks John. That stuff has some relevance even over here, so it's good to know I can find info on things like that if I want to.

And that bureau is amazing. That must have taken a lot of hours.

Didn't get anything useful done over the weekend, and I've been crook so far this week. :(

My bench is bare. Although my wife and I did talk about a scale model of the buffet we designed together, and we did a bit of research into drawer slides by going to a few furniture shops. It's funny how a "high end" shop still has furniture that uses lower/mid-grade drawer runners. And some of the furniture didn't seem that great in regards construction. I guess it's all about the profits.

On 9/3/2019 at 8:43 PM, 1fizgig said:

It's funny how a "high end" shop still has furniture that uses lower/mid-grade drawer runners.

I guess it's all on perspective.   My chest on chest dresser (purchased from what had once been a major manufacturer of good quality solid cherry furniture) did not use runners (that is, mechanical steel/plastic rails at the edges of the drawers).   I consider it "high end" compared to most any furniture being made now that uses runners. 

all in the perspective.  :ChinScratch:

1 hour ago, p_toad said:

I guess it's all on perspective.   My chest on chest dresser (purchased from what had once been a major manufacturer of good quality solid cherry furniture) did not use runners (that is, mechanical steel/plastic rails at the edges of the drawers).   I consider it "high end" compared to most any furniture being made now that uses runners. 

all in the perspective.  :ChinScratch:

Well from this shop's perspective they sell high end. The price tag alone signifies this. But the craftsmanship, well, not as much. I would have expected a more solid craftsmanship than what I was seeing. You know how when you actually handle an item, you can often tell the quality? It was like that. I expected high quality, but what I was seeing was not that.

I'm not sure how I would qualify it better than that really. It didn't feel like furniture that I couldn't get from a cheaper store elsewhere, yet the chain prides itself on luxury.