Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

To each his own. I'm just a hobbyist one man shop. I had thought about ducting in dust collection, but decided not too. It doesn't take that long to wheel the dc over to each machine and hook it up, and this way I can keep the run to a minimum and efficient length, plus saw money not having to buy all the ducting. It's I was a more then one man shop then a permanent ducted system would make more sense.

Something I will not put in the blog is safety. Dust collection is not an option just to say I have it. It is there to improve the likehood that you will not wind up with super dust allergies or plugged lungs on oxygen. That is unless you want to wear a respirator all the time and not just when you sand. Like Fred I usually leave the DC on most of the time I am in the shop and just shuffle the gates.

Charlie I am just giving the options I am familiar with. Sorry hauling a DC to each machine only leads to saving time by just making the cut without and then you might as well not have anything to catch dust.

Then there is that other dust source : what is on the floor. When the dust the DC does not collect hits the floor and as fans blow and you walk thru it the dust will be redistributed into the air and you are back where you started in a manner of speaking. So cleaning the floor is also important.

By the way the next installment may be two weeks or more away, but will be coming.

I had a brand new 2 hp PSI cyclone, I installed it where I thought would be best, but thats as far as it got. I never ducted it out or used it. I ended up just selling it, and bought what I have now. Plastic pipe for ducting maybe ok for some folks, but I like to do things right and probably would of used metal ducting and not have to worry about grounding and a fire caused by a static spark in the system.

PSIcyc.jpg

Edited by CharlieL

3 hours ago, CharlieL said:

I had a brand new 2 hp PSI cyclone, I installed it where I thought would be best, but thats as far as it got. I never ducted it out or used it. I ended up just selling it, and bought what I have now. Plastic pipe for ducting maybe ok for some folks, but I like to do things right and probably would of used metal ducting and not have to worry about grounding and a fire caused by a static spark in the system.

PSIcyc.jpg

That is one nice piece of equipment. As far as my research I have not found even one home shop fire due to a spark in dust collection. It would take a very concentrated amount of dust to do that and home shop with one machine going at a time just does not produce that volume of dust. A more important consideration in the home shop is for a hot piece of metal to get into sawdust and become a fire during the night. And Yes I have seen reports of at least 3 in the forums I read.

3 minutes ago, Gerald said:

A more important consideration in the home shop is for a hot piece of metal to get into sawdust and become a fire during the night. And Yes I have seen reports of at least 3 in the forums I read.

I like @Gene Howe method, vent it to outside.  If possible, or be creative and make it so nobody knows.  :JawDrop:

1 hour ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

Venting outside would certainly be my choice if I wasn't heating in the winter.

Totally agree.  Venting warm air outside results in sucking cold air in.

15 hours ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

but I can't help but think moving that much air out of a heated room would be fairly expensive

14 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Totally agree.  Venting warm air outside results in sucking cold air in.

A good point.  So where the air is sucked in is important.  For those with a shop vac system that is inside the shop this shouldn't matter.  Now mine is on the other side of a insulated wall.  In unheated space but enclosed.  Only really heat is from the compressor when it cycles or if I use it a lot and it cycles.  So not much really.  Never have worried about it, I just run the DC because I need it working.  

Anyone did any testing or have some theory of operation showing this robs the heat?

17 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Anyone did any testing or have some theory of operation showing this robs the heat?

I have a filtered return air vent from DC room (insulated) so I do not loose that much . However mine is in attic so I get heat gain even with insulation. Think of it like this if your home had a pipe in the door and a fan attached to it  the conditioned air would be exhausted out. The bigger the hole the more lose. Now to make up for the lose air is drawn in through every crack in the home .

This LINK from Sawmill Creek says that in a 10x10 shop conditioned air would be exhausted in 10 minutes.

Another TAKE is based on commercial application but some impressive numbers.

And more Commercial application . Not our situation but you can see the $$$$ going out the duct.