Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Artie said:

That’s cause they’re SNOOPERVISORS!

TRUTH.  Just came down to take a break.  While running a wire in attic I hear a funny noise behind me.  Looking over my shoulder one of the cats has climbed the ladder and found a nice spot to observe me.  Hearing more noise another one is coming up the ladder.  Yup, break time.  Everybody OUT!!   :D

Great execution Gunny.  I can see where this might be beneficial on the front porch with a motion sensor - or maybe not, will think on it for awhile...

19 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Stayed at this all day.  Had to remove couple pieces of plywood flooring in the attic to get access to the rafters below and run some wires.  Yeah it was hot even with a fan running.  Hard part was fishing the wall from the attic to the old light fixture.  Only had to go 38 inches and I measured and hit the right spot 1st time.  But getting the wire fish down into the wall took me and the wife.  She stayed at the bottom and with a flashlight managed to get ahold of the fish.  While I lost another 10 lbs in sweat.

But after all the wiring was run, and hooked up the results were better than expected.  I used four 9 watt LED downlights.  Put one above the side door, one at the back gate and the other two on either side of my truck doors.  So now when I pull in at night the motion sensor turns on all 4 lights, and when I get out of the truck I can see quite well.  Passenger side, same thing.  Very nice to have the extra light, we ain't getting any younger here.

My wife noted that when the downlights are on it seems to be as much light as the previous main lights which were some old florescent kitchen lights with diffusers.  The diffusers were constantly getting full of dead bugs and dirt dobbers.  We get this for a mere 36 watts of used electricity, not a bad savings.  The lights cost me $35 and even if they last 5 year warranty still worth the cost.

Enough talk, lets see some pictures.

@Artie will appreciate how much fun this work area was to work in.

2035910438_motionlights(3).jpg.63e9209221aeb100b0c6b5e8d605ab51.jpg

View from front of carport, I'll clean up my mess tomorrow.  Finally a task that doesn't require a weight loss program.

1835725411_motionlights(1).jpg.571565b1e487825ffbb7887852310693.jpg

View from side entry.

533871095_motionlights(2).jpg.f43893e13f4a8bc7d4424e8d3f847b14.jpg

Now my real design benefit.  Light where you need it when you get out of the truck.

834898622_motionlights(4).jpg.2b377fd2d622c1510d23cf3eada0a3ae.jpg

All those complaints and you had plywood over the joists? I get stuck tip toeing on the joists while trying to crawl around, on top of the insulation, yada, yada, yada. It’s the insulation I hate, I can deal with the heat (sorta) but I HATE the insulation. I believe Kali has now classified the pink stuff as the same as asbestos. Nice, accessible junction box! 

6 hours ago, Al B said:

Problem with a motion sensor is the cats will likely be turning the lights on regularly.:WonderScratch:

Yeah they had fun last night, my wife got up to see why the light kept coming on.  It was the cats.

3 hours ago, Artie said:

All those complaints and you had plywood over the joists?

Yes and No.  Yes it was there, but I had to take all the pieces up to run the wires. So No, didn't help at all till I was all done. :D

3 hours ago, Artie said:

Nice, accessible junction box! 

I might add on to this so I made sure I can get to it.    Looked tobnight at the front door and wanted to add another motion sensor with 4 more lights to the front door.  Cannot mount the sensor to the ceiling, the storm door will hit it when you open it up.  Cannot mount to the wall, same problem.  I probably will have to put the sensor closer to the driveway and have a longer on time so when you come to door the light is still on. 

Having gotten the lights all up and working I noticed that when I come into the carport from the backyard I have to walk halfway in before the motion sensor detects me and turns on the lights.  So I wondered if I could hook two up and point in opposite directions.  Found a wiring schematic online that matched how I thought they might work.

Tonight I did a mock up and performed some testing.  It does work!  Not hard to do and simple wiring.  Just have to get a new motion sensor tomorrow.

806013244_motionsensorwiring.jpg.b5a3f41d9e2409d10445609c6db4333f.jpg

589847804_Motionsensortest.jpg.724bd2cf24014cca97b89194699983e3.jpg

I woulda weighed in on it earlier, but the Missus had cataract surgery yesterday. She’s a type one diabetic and was nervous as %^$%# about the surgery. All went well, and at the follow up appointment this morning was seeing 20-20 out of the eye that had surgery. The other eye is scheduled for Oct 30. As Gunny has already proven, the diagram works.

7 hours ago, Artie said:

I woulda weighed in on it earlier, but the Missus had cataract surgery yesterday.

Hope all goes well with her recovery.  

7 hours ago, Artie said:

the diagram works.

Indeed.  My neighbor has already ordered several he wants made this way.  Guess he is going to be paying for my new ones.  :D