Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

kmealy -
Larry Buskirk -

Top Posters

This topic reminds me of AMT Tools that used to be advertised in the magazines back when I started woodworking.   As I recall, they were sub-$100 items that were sort of "kits"  -- you had to supply the bases and maybe even the motors (at additional $29.95 :-)  )   It appears they are out of the woodworking tool business and now a subsidiary making pumps.

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=29

1253503048_drillpresses.JPG.bb32d490c6498dfe143d203df0d44b81.JPG

Didn't have the room for either of these..:JawDrop:

scrollsaw.JPG.14db4102e86be92c5f7317f3b1fad377.JPG

There was an estate sale, one year...( when another fellow was having trouble getting the air compressor to fit in his pickup truck's 8' bed):DevilLaughing:

steadrest.JPG.f0fb3b241488417e087c62ad44ef71f2.JPG

Can you imagine the lathe this came off of?:BugEyeSmiley:

792094999_gearbox2.JPG.91a73b3aab081d8e5b81ce0bb52cd5c0.JPG

Just a hint....?:WonderScratch:lathe.JPG.e9ca8eae9fe3d1be620732a78d06226c.JPG

The American Tool Works Co.,  from down by Kmealy....B)

I doubt IF I could get this in the Dungeon Shop....:ChinScratch:

The 4 1/2:1 ratio unit does 75-3000 R.P.M..

As the documents state "Will operate in any position on all types of machinery"

I can see this being very useful running a line shaft with step pulleys powering not only a drill press but also a lathe, band saw, etc.

Quite a few of the manufacturers offered metal turning attachments for their wood lathes.

Most of the wood/metal band saws used a gear/step pulley setup for blade speed changes.

:ChinScratch: Yes, this might just come in handy. ;)

@FlGatorwood,

Shopsmith doesn't state how they're doing the speed increaser, but the speed reducer states (Double Poly-V belt drive system is positive in its action and designed to last). If they are doing the speed increaser with gears they would have to be beveled gears to make the 90° turn.

I've been watching some YouTube videos about old line shaft driven shops looking for ideas. In one of the videos done by the Vintage Machinery's Keith Rucker showed a friction disc drive assembly, and mentioned that it is very like the friction disc drive used in Snapper lawn mowers.:huh: That comment peaked my interest because this type of drive allows for speed adjustment as well as FWD/REV capability. B) 

Of course the line shafts used in the old line driven shops was much heavier, and now days way out of my budget. :(

:ChinScratch:But the mention of those Snapper friction drives got me to thinking just maybe I could adapt something to my 3/4" line shaft equipment.:WonderScratch: 

Well you know I had to take a look on ebay to see if these type of parts could be adapted to suit my purpose. :WhoMe:

I looked at the Snapper drive assembly, and determined the drive disc from the rider should fit the bill, but adapting the friction wheel would prove a challenge. :(

I mentioned this to my neighbor, and he stated the same type drive is used in quite a few snow blowers, and he's got a Snapper rider that he'll be scrapping, along with a few snow blowers.:huh:

So back to looking on ebay, and low and behold things began to look a bit more promising. :TwoThumbsUp:

The friction wheel assemblies used on the snow blowers would be much easier to adapt! :)

So,... it's off to the neighbors I go!!! :DevilLaughing: