John Morris

Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! August 5th, 2019

Rate this topic

Setting up the Incra IBox for some box joints. One slight irritation with the Shopsmith is that when it's used in a different configuration, in this case powering the bandsaw, everything has to be realigned for the next process. Especially for those more precise tools like the IBox. 

Before that process though, I gotta water all Phyl's plants. That's a 90 minute job. Sometimes it takes an hour and a half.:WonderScratch:

She'll be back Thursday, though. Just one more watering session, then she can take over. Yay.

I bought a cheap Windsor Design 33 plane from HF, and started converting it to a scrub plane.  For one, I wanted a scrub plane to practice with, two, it was a lot cheaper than Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley, and three, I wanted some experience in truing up a rough plane, such as one picked from a yard sale, before I had to do it on one that I cared about.  And that HF plane was/is a rough build.  I have the sole and sided smoothed up as much as I am going to, but I haven't started working on the camber for the iron.  It's a good thing I intended to re-grind the edge of the iron because the edge as it came out of the box looked like a blade on a set of pinking shears.  So that's my project for this week.

I spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday afternoon on a 6/12 pitch roof tearing off shingles and repairing eave plywood.  My son, nephew and I always assist each other on big home projects and it is my nephews turn so off comes the roof.  I’m paying for it though.  This week I’m building ear ring stands for a fall show.

Unfortunately nothing woodworking. But I did smoke some whole chickens, make a couple of peach cobblers, gain a few pounds.......and install the hitch on my new Ferris Zero Turn for the Cyclone Rake. I did sign up for a hand plane class at Woodcraft if that counts. And started work on cleaning up a Takahashi EM-200 telescope mount that's been in the observatory or a few years. Made a computer cable to use software to slew to objects and test its operations. Overall a productive weekend even if I didn't make any sawdust.......

57 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Having helped my friend repair a kitchen floor all weekend I am in recovery mode.  Recovered all the tools from out of the truck and put back in there proper places.  Now I am letting my knees recover from the abuse they took this weekend.:D

That’s my next project thanks to my son.

Back to school clothes shopping done.  Now to get them to the barber shop before Friday.  Then today, we took advantage of a membership which allows them to jump and play dodgeball on trampolines.  It's good exercise for 1.5 hours daily and cost about $1 per day for 2 children.  Got the front yard mowed, edged and blowed before the rain.  About to return to the removing the old mortar from the blocks and refilling with new mortar.  Ugh!

On 8/5/2019 at 9:57 AM, PostalTom said:

I bought a cheap Windsor Design 33 plane from HF, and started converting it to a scrub plane.  For one, I wanted a scrub plane to practice with, two, it was a lot cheaper than Lie-Nielsen or Lee Valley, and three, I wanted some experience in truing up a rough plane, such as one picked from a yard sale, before I had to do it on one that I cared about.  And that HF plane was/is a rough build.  I have the sole and sided smoothed up as much as I am going to, but I haven't started working on the camber for the iron.  It's a good thing I intended to re-grind the edge of the iron because the edge as it came out of the box looked like a blade on a set of pinking shears.  So that's my project for this week.

I finished up the plane.  Trying to regrind and sharpen the iron was a real pain.  Most of the problem was because the iron was really short.  I was trying to follow the video I saw, I think from Stumpy Nubs, on how to sharpen the blade, but it was too short to really use his technique.  As you can see in the picture below, I got somewhat of an edge on it.  All in all, an interesting exercise.

257456165_scrubplane1.jpg.d1c1aed29f445a71cd2383368b275a5f.jpg

Here you can see the shortness of the blade, and the "different" type of adjustment mechanism.  382340866_scrubplane2.jpg.b3c5939103f3ed333fa718088b2ca68b.jpg

This is what I ended up with after my flattening and truing efforts.  Most of that work was done on my Ridgid oscillating spindle/belt sander.  

1877317171_scrubplane3.jpg.9f37cc6ec9e9f6b2884238ffb57a52bc.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone.