Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Good afternoon guys, I have been fooling around with a set of drawers to add to an old work table. 

Trying different styles and designs of slides, wood, commercial version full extension. While surfing came across the Wood whisperer's drawer in a drawer video, even posted a question to ask why build this design as opposed to just making a second drawer. 

What are your opinions on this?  

"Double your drawer space" on YouTube

5 hours ago, Pat Meeuwissen said:

Double your drawer space

That is a good design he shows in the video.  By allowing the tray to slide back into the now empty space you don't have to lift the tray out just to access the bottom stuff.  And it saves on making more drawers, saving the added cost of the extra bottoms, pulls and slides.  I see he even accounted for the tray tipping by putting in a stop at the back.  Very well though out.  Below is the video.

Edited by Woodbutcherbynight

I like it as a novel solution for a drawer that was already build but if building from scratch I think its more practical to build two slimmer drawers. Doing it like in the video your loosing the extra storage from the width to build it in the existing drawer.

Thanks for posting the video link doing from my cell phone was just not possible for me. 

16 hours ago, Pat Meeuwissen said:

I like it as a novel solution for a drawer that was already build

I agree very practical work around saving the trouble of making two new drawers.

16 hours ago, Pat Meeuwissen said:

but if building from scratch I think its more practical to build two slimmer drawers.

Good point as well.  Just did a refurb on this cabinet awhile back and custom made each drawer to accommodate whatever I had planned to put in it.  Took some time and definitely used more drawer slides but I prefer not to have to slid anything back to see what is below.  Personal preference I guess.

IMG_0831.JPG.1cf64fc5d1ebb34814bb50b86fb074e1.JPG  IMG_20190423_203804_01.jpg.2e81960a8eadd91ed5fb1035c26738b8.jpg

In addition,  you loose over half your interior space.   The top half is not useable by contents on the  bottom and half the top is needed for the the top till, and the till itself takes up space.   This assumes you fill your drawers to the top -- that I often do with clothes in the bedroom and tools in the shop.