10 minutes ago, John Morris said:

@Larry Buskirk, on the subject of dad's, your sig line reminded me, when I was a kid and I had a boo boo or aches and pains, dad never showed much compassion for any of it, he'd dismiss it with "Hey John, don't sweat it, it'll feel better when it stops hurting!". I've always said the same to my kids since they were little, it confused the heck out of em at first, now they just moan when I state it to them.

My wife has a hard time getting me to go to the Dr., If it doesn't need stiches or it's not broke I'm not going. :WhoMe:

When we were redoing the roof I fell through a skylight opening removing tarps and busted 3 ribs one in two places. That was on a Saturday. I climbed down through the opening only to have the wife meet me at the bottom of the stairs. She could tell right away that something had happened. I caught my breath and hoisted several more sheets of plywood up the ladder. On Monday the foreman at work noticed me moving rather stiffly and asked why. When I told her she wouldn't allow me to go to work until I saw a Dr.. So I went and came back to work with the prognosis of having 3 ribs fractured in 4 places. Since I refused pain killers that they wouldn't allow me to work while on I went back to work. :BangingHead: I'll stop when it doesn't hurt. :DevilLaughing:

14 minutes ago, John Morris said:

What's your opinion Larry using a 10" on an 8"? My biggest concern was speed off the outside diameter, turning too fast beyond manufacture specs that it could be a danger somehow.

John,

As long as the motor speed is at or below the recommended speed for the blade it should be fine. The blade will still be spinning at the same speed just running more teeth through the material being cut.

You may have to feed the material more slowly so you don't bog the motor down, it would have more to do with the H.P. of the motor being able to run the larger blade through the material you are cutting.

@Gene Howe,

Every tool has it's uses, they are only as safe as the user.

The RAS can do things I wouldn't even attempt on a TS, and vice versa.

When I was a kid my dad knew a guy that did pretty much everything with a RAS.

He would/could pretty much build a whole house with it.

John, thank you for the stories and pictures.  What a view!  It is worth living there.  Like others have so well said, enjoy every minute with your dad and learn all you can from his life.  Some really good lessons.  My dad checked out at age 66, his dad checked out at age 70.  Mother's dad left at age 90.  Now, I am 71 and feeling all the miles.  But, I have things to get done and no time for sitting down.  I spend more time here than anywhere.  Yes, if you can make notes, it is well worth it.  Before mother expired, I asked specific questions and have information that none of her siblings or mine knew.  It's a special memory.  

Also, I hope you get that whole roof coated in time.

I've said all along, when I get old I can be happy with a small home... but I need a 3 car garage/shop to spend my time in!!!  Y'all are very lucky to have your dad in such great shape at 86, independent still and enjoying his days. 

When did your dad leave the Catskills?  What did he do after leaving?  Does he still have any family connections back there?  Have you ever been there to see the area where he grew up?  Interesting that you point out his habit of hands-on-hips.  It is a normal standing arrangement with old farmers up there, but I never really noticed it, or the lack of it, after I left the area.  How about any verbal expressions from the area, has he carried any of those with him - like "A-uh"?  I have strong recollections of that common expression, usually said twice - "A-uh A-uh"

I shared a birthday with my dad.  He had a massive heart attack and died at 60 - while doing the evening milking.  Let me tell you, I had a pretty rough 60th birthday, and likely that whole year.  Now, I look at each day as the gift it is.

I learned after our kids were grown that I was called by all the neighborhood kids "plant man" because I always spent so much time in the yard.  I was happy with that, and a little disappointed that I hadn't learned it earlier:D

10 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Of what older machines and methods do you speak? Changing pulley sizes, maybe? As with an ER? 

:blink:..ER..:WonderScratch:

As to machines and methods. :ChinScratch:

As you know most any of the older belt drive machines either are, or can be fitted with a multiple step pulley.

But this only gives you a few speeds to choose from. :Tapping:

Sooo...We have to go a bit farther here. :blink:

To make it a little more "Fun" :DevilLaughing: we add a few more step pulleys on a jackshaft, and run that from a motor through another set of step pulleys. That could even be taken another step further by more step pulleys through yet another jackshaft. :DevilLaughing:

Some people do so with VFD drives using 3-Phase motors to power their older machines. I myself have never done so myself. :WhoMe: