Good story John. All I can say is enjoy every day and ask questions and write down the answers now. Make copies of what you write and these articles for your children .My Dad died at age 70 and was still working. Often wondered what he would do in retirement but thinking now he would be gardening. He used to have a dream of having a farm with Hereford cattle .

8 minutes ago, Ron Altier said:

John, you are a blessed man to have your father for so many years. Most of us lost our parents years ago. Cherish the moments!

Thank you Ron, it's amazing how healthy he is, I take encouragement from that fact, that hopefully I'll have a full long life as he has. We will cherish the moments, I promise!

2 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Good story John. All I can say is enjoy every day and ask questions and write down the answers now. Make copies of what you write and these articles for your children .My Dad died at age 70 and was still working. Often wondered what he would do in retirement but thinking now he would be gardening. He used to have a dream of having a farm with Hereford cattle .

Thank you Gerald, as we all get older I am starting to see how important it is to do as you stated, when I was younger, death for anyone in our family seemed so far off, but we do all leave this life eventually, and my dad aint getting younger, as a family we are working on seeing more of him, and being more tentative to his needs. He's the only dad/gramps we got.

70 is pretty young Gerald, I bet your dad is living his dream elsewhere. :)

14 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Story of my life Gerald,

Hey do you remember what the books title is?

"A Father's Legacy"- your life story in your own words.

Did not realize there were so many versions of the same idea.

LOOK AT THESE TITLES

Edited by Gerald

2 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

John, your posts about your visits with your dad are always highlights of my day. I'd bet it's the same for him, too. What's he think about his grand daughter's exciting news? How's the roof repairs holding up? I'm with you on that guard less RAS. Those things scare me WITH a guard! 

Thanks Gene! I am glad you enjoy them!

He is very excited bout his grand daughter, and very proud, his buttons pop with his grand kids. He especially impressed with our new future soldier in the family, since Dad was a Navy Corpman, he still loves to see youth enter the ranks.

The roof repairs we did with those coatings, worked very well, the only problem is the water went to another area of the roof and found new places to leak, but the area that was coated, never leaked after. We'll get another layer of coating up there soon before the next rain season.

2 minutes ago, Artie said:

John, your Dad seems like a very happy content person. Not really possible to have a more satisfying life than that.

He is Artie, he's fine, he's had a lot of hardship in his life, relatively recent years he/we tragically lost both his daughters (my two sisters) a couple months apart from each-other back in the mid 90's. He was destroyed for a long time, but as we all do, we cope, we adjust, we rationalize, and he finally adjusted as we all had too, and he has finally found peace I can say. You can tell just by the smile, he's finally there I'd say.

1 hour ago, John Morris said:

I did however get on him about using a 10" blade on an 8" RAS

:ChinScratch: I use a 10" on a 9" saw, but I found a 10" guard from a later model that fits. Can't hardly find 9" blades anymore.

5 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Those things scare me WITH a guard! 

Some operations won't allow the use of a guard, such as using a dado set, or moulding head. 

1 minute ago, Larry Buskirk said:

I use a 10" on a 9" saw, but I found a 10" guard from a later model that fits. Can't hardly find 9" blades anymore.

What's your opinion Larry using a 10" on an 8"? My biggest concern was speed off the outside diameter, turning too fast beyond manufacture specs that it could be a danger somehow.