Feeling better

FlGatorwood

Much slower but oh, so much better than last weekend.  I thought I was dying.  Looked at my urine and it was red.  I remember a friend of mine dying from kidney infection, so I rushed off early Sunday morning to the local Urgent Care.  Once they tested it, they announced a I had a raging UTI.  No wonder I was exhausted, sleepy, no appetite, every sip of water seemed to use my stomach as a diving board.  She made a smart comment and I mooned her, she stuck me with a needle.  Then she gave me a couple of papers, one with a prescription and the other to return the next day for a second injection.  Yep, she gave me a second chance to moon them.  You can bet I did.  Then she told me that she was trying to keep me out of the hospital.  I am so grateful.  It worked by the grace of God.  Started taking my pills on Sunday and accidentally missed last nights dosage.  But, yesterday about noon, I had the desire for food for first time since last Saturday morning.  I had not eaten and man was I weak.  On Tuesday, I was able to use a stool to sit on to cook and wash dishes.  Today, my energy is good and I can cook and wash dishes without a stool.  I even put the garbage bin out by the street.  Still stagger from weakness, but I always check to see if the police are around.  I was able to drive out to the oral surgeon for follow up, went to food vendors for meals for wife and grandson.  So, I am recovering but just not as young as I once was.  Bounce back is slow but progress is coming and welcome.  So glad to have the energy to be back.  

I'm not trying to make light of the situation, but the position that had to be assumed reminded me of a doctor's office visit I has several years ago.  After checking my blood pressure, pulse, etc. my doctor said it was now time for a rectal exam.  He said 'you don't like it and neither do I'.  I said 'that may be true but at least you are getting paid to do it'.  Not funny?.....you had to be there. 

Holy Cow gator, that would have concerned me too, red urine can't be good! Sounds like you got a great doc to look at ya, and they zeroed in on the culprit very quickly, that is awesome! I do hope you are feeling better today, and even better tomorrow. Keep us up to date how it goes over the next few days, and remember to give yourself the room and space to feel the way you do, don't like I've been doing and lose patience with yourself for not getting back to par quickly.

Thanks for the report, and I wish you all the best in what appears to be a "for sure" recovery! :)

42 minutes ago, John Morris said:

red urine can't be good!

We  put a bottle of food coloring in the supervisors toilet, set it to slowly leak.  When he finally noticed he went to the medic.  Who of course made him use the toilet in the medics office.  When it was clear he told on us, said he suspected foul play.

:D

Thank you, gentlemen for the support.  I am feeling much better, but not strong enough to get behind that push mower.  That nurse told me that it was her attempt to keep me out of the hospital and between her and the "Great Physician", I am coming back, albeit, very slowly.  But, if it's the Good Lord's willing, I'll be back outside one day next week.  I plan to start that ZTR and ride an hour on Monday.  It has been 40 years since I've had one and I never check to see what's in the bowl.  But, I was so tired that I sat on the bowl every couple of hours.  Well, thankfully, it is mostly out of here.  

BTW, if you go purchase cranberry juice cocktail in the one serving bottles, please check the dates.  I bought a package that expired last August.  It didn't make me sick, so I'm hoping it is making me stronger.  

Again, thanks for the understanding and support.  I hope that you remember to check yourself in this heat.  It is easy to get dehydrated quickly.  

I can sympathize with you there, Gator. Headed to the ER about a year ago with the same problem. Nurse handed me a container, pointed to the washroom, and told me she needed a sample. When I brought it back, she had a terrified look on her face as she exclaimed loudly; "I meant URINE, not BLOOD!" Hope you're feeling OK again!

John

10 hours ago, FlGatorwood said:

I hope that you remember to check yourself in this heat.  It is easy to get dehydrated quickly.

Most definitely! Heat injuries can creep up on ya, if you feel the symptoms, it's too late, you're injured, drink, drink, drink, drink, water. All day, and when you get up at night to go pee, drink some more, specially if you know you are going to be working outside the next day.

13 hours ago, John Morris said:

and when you get up at night to go pee, drink some more, specially if you know you are going to be working outside the next day.

I don't want to hear how difficult this is.  Try getting up in middle of night, get dressed, get armor on, put gunbelt on and walk 100 or so meters to use the toilet, a port-a-potty style.  Then go back, strip it all off and go back to bed.  To this day I keep water on the nightstand to drink.:D

11 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Try getting up in middle of night, get dressed, get armor on, put gunbelt on and walk 100 or so meters to use the toilet, a port-a-potty style.  Then go back, strip it all off and go back to bed.

I have, Honduras 1990, but the latrine was about 600 meters from our hooch. But, those days are just a sliver of a memory from so long ago, I don't even think about it anymore, till you brought it up! :lol:

But for most folks, specially in the construction industry, or any job outside, just be careful with all this heat. I've had heat illness and injury in the past, it's no fun. We work all day in the desert carrying packs full of lathe and stakes, and a belt with all our tools on, and survey gear over our shoulders, it's 118 with about 90% humidity by the Salton Sea here in So Cal, and man, it's a challenge. A couple of summers ago my crew did that every day for 2 months, we built up a tolerance for it, but it still sucked.

The best thing if you are working with others, keep an eye on each other, look for confusion, slurred speech, pasty pale skin or very flushed, also if your team mate or crew member is complaining about flu symptoms, it could be heat injury in waiting, fever, back chills, gut aches, highly likely it's heat illness if your working outside in the heat.

Like I said earlier, if you are feeling these symptoms it's too late, you are already dehydrated, you need help and quickly. Shade, truck with AC on full, water, unbutton shirt and seek medical attention.

Your pee, you want to see pale ale, straw color, if your pee is dark amber, you are dehydrated.

Stay safe folks!

On 7/19/2019 at 11:25 PM, FlGatorwood said:

Thank you, gentlemen for the support.  I am feeling much better, but not strong enough to get behind that push mower.  That nurse told me that it was her attempt to keep me out of the hospital and between her and the "Great Physician", I am coming back, albeit, very slowly.  But, if it's the Good Lord's willing, I'll be back outside one day next week.  I plan to start that ZTR and ride an hour on Monday.  It has been 40 years since I've had one and I never check to see what's in the bowl.  But, I was so tired that I sat on the bowl every couple of hours.  Well, thankfully, it is mostly out of here.  

BTW, if you go purchase cranberry juice cocktail in the one serving bottles, please check the dates.  I bought a package that expired last August.  It didn't make me sick, so I'm hoping it is making me stronger.  

Again, thanks for the understanding and support.  I hope that you remember to check yourself in this heat.  It is easy to get dehydrated quickly.  

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. 

You know I thought I was well hydrated.  I drink almost a half gallon of water per day, eat all sorts of juicy fruits, but it got me good.  Also, I have learned the higher mileage you have, the more susceptible you are.  I am still weak.  I don't have that much of an appetite, but I do get hunger pains about once per day.  I am going to do about 30 minutes push mowing tomorrow.  I will do 15 minutes, get inside, drink some cranberry juice and water, do the other 15 minutes and put the mower away.  That should do the front yard.  Then I'll get back on the ZTR and try to finish what I started on Monday.  At least, it's a rider.  I can hardly wait to get back to my shopsmith.  I have some Bradford pear to turn into rolling pins.  They will not be any competition to Lew.  Actually, this will be my first, so Lew, you don't have to worry.  

Again, I thank all of you for your support.  It's really nice to have friends who care.  Have a great rest of your week.  

Oh, about being in the military, it was not hard in the Navy to find a head.  That's a latrine to most of the rest of you.  But, we did have to be in uniform, climb down from your bunk, find your way across the compartment in the red light, get through the knee knockers, more of them down the passageway to the head.  You learned to wear shoes, not shower shoes.  Yes, I had a couple of damaged shins.  Healed up over 40 years ago, just a memory.  :) 

23 minutes ago, FlGatorwood said:

I drink almost a half gallon of water per day

NOT enough.  I have that before lunch and am much younger, (I am guessing here).  You are right being older we need more water just to keep up.  If you are out working and breaking a sweat at all, even just walking you will need much more water.  

Archived