Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Just a thought. I know cast planes will crack if dropped or at least may crack. Now what happens to a bronze plane when dropped? Does it warp the sole, break the joints , or just dent?

Well, here is what John said about that earlier in the thread:

On 7/13/2019 at 9:58 AM, John Morris said:

2. Why do you make many of your tools out of Bronze?

Manganese Bronze is a very hard, strong alloy which wears very well, unlike brass and softer bronzes. We prefer this bronze to iron for small planes because it's heavier, it doesn't rust, won't crack if dropped and has wonderful warmth in the hand. We use iron when the extra weight is not welcome.

Source: FAQ's

I still occasionally watch "Ask this old house".  I've definitely noticed the inventory of Festool's that Tommy Silva owns. I wonder if the tools are provided by Festool, since they are a sponsor of the program.

20 minutes ago, Al B said:

I still occasionally watch "Ask this old house".  I've definitely noticed the inventory of Festool's that Tommy Silva owns. I wonder if the tools are provided by Festool, since they are a sponsor of the program.

No doubt. 

I recalled one of my favorite furniture builders that I was introduced too oh I'd say about 7 years ago or more. I love their style, a man woman partnered team, and I noticed they use Lie Nielsen in their shop. I have spoke with Matthew Wolfe in the past and he is such a nice wonderful man, and easy to approach, he and I traded opinions on hand tools, I liked his advice and it fit me and my objectives for my shop. I have also learned a lot from just watching his videos.

@PostalTom, I could of sworn he used an LN No. 4 Bronze in his other videos, but in this video he is using the LN No.4 Iron, and as you can see, it doesn't matter, his work is superb. I love my LN Bronze, not only does it work beautifully as the iron does, but it just looks so danged cool too :) 

Matthew is not sponsored by LN, he just loves their tools. So do I. Just thought I'd share this video of a true master at work, he has many other videos of his builds at his YouTube channel.

He also uses those lovely Veritas shaves.

Also, he linked to us on his website, you gotta love that.

WWW.DOUCETTEANDWOLFEFURNITURE.COM

Links to friends and buisnesses at Doucette and Wolf Furniture Makers, handcrafted furniture and colonial furniture handmade...

20 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Do they just do wood working on weekends and have an office job

Jess, that's a whole lot of us here! With your high standards regarding who is qualified to give advise on tools, we should remain silent. :P

Seriously though, there are a whole bunch of woodworker hobbyist and weekend warriors who's opinions I value highly here. 

I got my #8 on ebay for 120 and it had a Hock blade so that was a bargain price. I think that blade alone is 80 to 90. I do love it but don't use it much

Well I actually found the A2 blade by Hock for 38 to 45 on another site.

Edited by Gerald

17 minutes ago, steven newman said:

I had to go to Virginia, to pick my Stanley No. 8 up....Charles Neil sent it home with me..still using it, too..with the OEM iron.  

Awesome!!!!!!!:cowboy:

I am fairly new to the forum, but have been building furniture and tools for some decades. When I started out, it was with whatever I could afford, which was not much. What is clear to me is that, as most here know, tools do not make a craftsman. On the other hand, crappy tools do make it harder to become a craftsman. Given the choice, I'd rather use nice tools than not. 

I am rather fortunate now to own and use some nice tools. Even better, some were payment for helping design or testing them for production. Mostly, this has been with Lee Valley/Veritas, but also includes other manufacturers.

John, in regard to your statement that an 80 year-old tablesaw cannot be beat, I assume that you have not used a decent slider :) They are in a different league ... do things differently. A few years ago I was upgrading the contractor saw I had used for 20 years, and chose a Hammer K3 slider over the SawStop plus all the trimmings. I would not go back.

When it comes to hand planes, there are so many types from which to choose.Woodies, Bailey, Bevel Up, Bevel Down, Infill, High Angle, Low Angle, Common Angle, Half Pitch ... Choose what is comfortable for you, and gets you the results you need.

There is a page on my website with many tool reviews:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/index.html

I am fortunate to have done a lot of work with Lee Valley, and being in a select position to share with others my experiences and insights into tools that they may not get to use. There are also other manufacturers.

One review which I shall point all towards is ostensibly about the Veritas Custom Planes. It is, however, a three-part article about plane design, ergonomics and use. I think it is worth reading:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasCustomPlanes1.html

So, wither bronze or steel? I have the LN Anniversary #4 1/2 (only 500 were made), and a bronze #3 ...

1-zpsaqb2z27j.jpg

Now I am rather partial to bevel down planes using the chipbreaker to control tearout. The Veritas Custom #4 has a 42-degree bed and yet planes the most interlocked grain you can imagine (and that is what we have in Western Australia). The PM-V11 steel is possibly the finest steel available for planes ...

VeritasCustomPlanes4_html_m70720e1c.jpg

However, the plane that I consider to be one of the most under rated and one that is simply superb is this one (below). I wonder if you can guess what it is (since I modified it) ...

BUSMOD2.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Edited by derekcohen