where To Buy Ryobi1 BS901 Bandsaw Parts

I have just gotten a Ryobi BS901 Bandsaw for short money.  It needs tires and maybe a drive belt and a blade.  Ryobi does not make these parts anymore.  I have seen them on Ebay and some other sites but was wondering if you folks might be able to recommend good places to buy these parts.  I don't see specific dimensions for these parts and am hesitant to buy based on 'fits most 9" bandsaw' verbiage.

Thank You.

Get a new blade, no matter what.  One suited to your type of work.  And when you change the blade take some tape and writer the date and put on the inside of the cover.  This way you KNOW exactly when you did it.  Because "it seems like I just replaced that blade a month ago" can really be 3 years and a month  ago.  I date everything, and am amazed at this when I see it for myself.  Looked under kitchen cabinet at rubber supply hoses to sink, yeah seems like last year I replaced those.  As in 2011......:JawDrop:

8 hours ago, Al B said:

I just visited Amazon . According to what I read the blade is 59 1/2 " long and the tires  are the same specs as the 902 so that tire will fit . Also looks like the drive belt is available there. If you need instructions for installing the tires, let me know.

I never saw a 902.  Everything I saw had models 901 and then 903.  This is my first band saw.  I've been able to get by with a good jig saw but my niece was helping with a yard sale, saw this tool and called me....so how could I say 'no'.

Another tire question....I have seen them made from different materials, e.g. urethane, etc.  What is the difference?

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Get a new blade, no matter what.  One suited to your type of work.  And when you change the blade take some tape and writer the date and put on the inside of the cover.  This way you KNOW exactly when you did it.  Because "it seems like I just replaced that blade a month ago" can really be 3 years and a month  ago.  I date everything, and am amazed at this when I see it for myself.  Looked under kitchen cabinet at rubber supply hoses to sink, yeah seems like last year I replaced those.  As in 2011......:JawDrop:

I will replace the blade.  I believe it came with a 6 TPI blade.  Not sure what type of work I do.  My frame of reference is my Bosch Jig Saw and I've got a bunch of different blades for it.  From what I have read this Ryobi Band Saw is not an award winner and my expectations are not too high.  I have seen some recommend a 3 TPI blade for it.  Is that good for general purpose work? 

Jim, my experience is from a 14" bandsaw, ymmv.

I put urethane tires on it when I bought it (used).  I don't think they lasted very long, they got hard and cracked forcing me to change them again.  My shop is neither heated or cooled.

For general work and learning what the saw will do for you I would stick with a 6 TPI blade, if you think you might do more ripping/resawing the 3 would be better.  If you get the narrowest blade available you will be able to cut tighter circles.  If the blades are cheap enough, get one of each, a skinny high tooth count and a thick 3 and see just how versatile the saw can be for you.

Jim, I have a Craftsman 14" bandsaw, used mainly for making bandsaw boxes. It has urethane tires and I've had no problems with the tires. For blades, making straight cuts, you'll want a 1/2" wide blade probably 6 tpi. For curved cuts, you'll need a 1/4" wide blade or less if the saw will handle it. I use a 3/16" wide blade, 14 tpi for tight curves on bandsaw boxes. The 14 tpi makes a slower but smoother cut than the 6 tpi would give. Makes for less sanding.

7 hours ago, Al B said:

It has urethane tires and I've had no problems with the tires.

I have a JET 14" and have had urethane tires for 4 years, no issues.

7 hours ago, Al B said:

I use a 3/16" wide blade, 14 tpi for tight curves on bandsaw boxes.

Spot on, works great for circle cutting as well.  

16 hours ago, Cal said:

For general work and learning what the saw will do for you

Great advice.  Just having to do some maintenance will enlighten you on HOW it works.  Then of course using it to make stuff!  I had a old Craftsman 3 wheel for a long time then got the JET 14", this past January got a 10" Benchtop Rikon to replace the 3 wheel.  Big improvement.  Biggest reason why was I really like to keep the resaw blade on the bigger bandsaw. 

Changing blades is like wrestling and octopus with swords.:JawDrop:

16 minutes ago, Al B said:

Just couldn't afford another Jet.

At todays prices me either.  Was at Woodworking Show in Atlanta years ago and scored a deal on a JET 17" Drill Press and a JET 14" Bandsaw with mobile bases got BOTH for $900 CASH.  You can't get one with a base for that price now, unless you get a used one. These were both new and in the box.