Turning Needs?

Artie

Hi, so I have a Ringmaster, still unused, and am looking into turning also (all you guys making all those beautiful things, it’s your fault). I’ll be starting with the Shopsmith as the lathe, probably will start with the Easy Wood Tools (supporting a sponsor). Maybe the Nova chuck and live end set for the Shopsmith, universal tool rest, so there is a wish list to start thinking of, for this to eventually come to fruition. My real question is SAFETY! If I stroll down this woodworking avenue, I wanna be safe. Is there a face mask with adequate dustprotection, that will NOT fog up, or need safety glasses worn underneath it? Obviously face mask/shield would need to provide with the physical protection needed to protect from anything the lathe might shoot out. This face mask/shield is probably the first thing I might want to get, as I can use it for other woodworking tasks. I have one of the respirators with the two replaceable filters, and it seems to do a satisfactory job. I don’t smell any sawdust, and my nose doesn’t get plugged up at all. The safety glasses, and the goggles I have all get fogged up when I wear them more than 4-5 minutes. So if there is a suitable one piece face shield respirator that doesn’t fog up, I’m innerested. Any advice, or opinions on the safety aspects, or what’s needed to think about having turning capabilities, fire away, and thank you.

Artie this one is not a respirator but does provide face protection and filtered air. The flow of air will prevent fogging. One note the best defense against that bullet you are expecting is to stay out of the line of fire. The blank will usually go straight up or at a45 to 60 degree angle off the lathe. If you are turning under 1000 RPM and the blank is 5 inch or less it will drop straight down

Trend Airshield Pro is what I use. It is a little heavy on your head but wou do bet used to that. The page I have referenced also has some other brands. The Uvex will work over some respirators if you just want a starting point.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=trend+airshield+pro&crid=3VL46ZPASUQQJ&sprefix=Trend+airsh%2Caps%2C169&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11

Gerald when you turn with the Trend Pro, do you wear safety glasses or a dust mask underneath?  This is something I’m thinking of trying/doing in the future (near future hopefully). So if I get a list of what I need to start, and birthdays/anniversary’s/Christmas roll around I can give people ideas of what I’d like/could use, and hopefully get properly set up to safely start trying. This is just for fun for me, and I have no interest in a hobby hurting me. When I had a boat, I had all the safety equipment required, and most of the nonrequired, that was recommended. That page you posted with all the bowls, vases, turnings was kinda inspiring, I'd like to try some of those. Also whoever had the post on the inside out ornaments (maybe it was you?), they kinda appealed to me, to want to try making some of them. These are some of the thoughts that float through me brain during the day. Thank you very much for all your help with this post, the Ringmaster post, and many others. I’ve gotten more time in the shop in the last 3 weeks, than the previous 3 months, my attention has been refocused.    

The Trend is all in one. That is no mask , googles are needed. I do take it off when sanding and use EZ dust mask just to preserve the battery which I have rebuilt both of them at least once. There are overlays for the shield to save it from scratches and CA blotches. Both Dan and I have posted on inside out, but remember we are all here for whatever knowledge you need someone will have it or where to find it.

Another factor I didn't see discussed is glasses. I had 5 procedures performed on my eyes and was unable to corrective lens when I had cataracts replaced. Glasses are a pain to use under goggles or shields. Fogging, slipping and getting the bifocal where you need it difficult. I use reading glasses, but that means switching glasses too. 

Having said all that...............I am just very thankful to see as good as I do.