An eye opener

Gene Howe

We used to live at the edge of the town where Webers were made -- I didn't know it at the time though.  But have had two charcoal and two Weber gas grills.   One of the charcoals we still have for camping and gave the old gas one to a daughter.    We bought the last one from the local Do-It-Best hardware that was the largest distributor of them in town (even though a small store), and it came assembled and delivered.   I used to go there frequently and one of the staff would be assembling one in the front of the store.

5 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Weber have never given into the "cheaper is better" train of thought.

In 1956, a federal document mandated all federal agencies to contract out certain "non-governmental" services for the cheapest price.  I did this process for a few years, to take a section that qualified for contracting and did a study to modify the processes to make it the "most efficient and effective" model.  Then it was put up for bids.  The government also had to bid.  Cheapest bid always won.  Problem is, when the quality fell so low, the contractor would come back with an extreme price increase, and they always won.  While I was in the Navy during the Vietnam days, all Navy galley's were contracted.  All the stewards and cooks in the Navy were relegated to being stationed on ships and no land duty.  That contractor has grown with many shell companies and is basically raping the government for his services.  I can't render the name because he later became Secretary of Defense and Vice President.  Yep. Him.  So, the cheapest bidder on a product or service is often not even close enough to be good quality.  :OldManSmiley: