Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Ring Master Turning

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

John Morris -
Jim from Easy Wood Tools -

Top Posters

I am just now becoming familiar with it.

Does anyone care to educate us further on what it is, how it works, and why you do it?

Thanks!

I belonged to a forum "Woodworking Friends" which recently closed down.  There was a group there that made some beautiful bowls with that machine.  The attraction is the fact that a bowl can be made from a board thus less materials.  Many designs can be made by gluing up boards of different colored wood species.  He is a "Dizzy" bowl that is popular with them.  There is a lot of video on YouTube.

image.png.251208cb23a6174eb302fccde15cd9ee.png

image.png.316969dbb6926c8af54f5c4ecb1ef85d.png

Edited by HandyDan

I just got a ringmaster, still haven’t assembled it. Hoping to get an attempt at a bowl this summer.

4 hours ago, lew said:

Here's a video you can relate to, John-

Wow that is awesome! Thanks for the video Lew, that just looks too danged fun!

3 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Many designs can be made by gluing up boards of different colored wood species.

Dan, thanks for the pics, those are really neat. Really neat!

1 hour ago, Artie said:

I just got a ringmaster, still haven’t assembled it. Hoping to get an attempt at a bowl this summer.

That is great news Artie!

I had a ringmaster and they work as advertised. A person can make a bowl from a board pretty quickly. Two things I didn't like about it. Without a lot of finagling, the bowls all look like a funnel IMO, and they have corners. I don't like corners in a bowl. That, and there is always a plug in the bottom to fill the hole left by the mounting bolt. Overall, the bowls from a ringmaster just don't appeal to me.

RM bowls have a large learning curve. You cannot use lathe tools so start with 50 or 60 grit and work up. You can make a bowl to look like a segmented piece or many other patterns. I have not done one but curved pieces can be done but takes more than one board. There is a measuring process to determine the angle needed to cut the rings and there are different thickness you can cut for rings. The traditional way to cut rings is to leave a hole in the bottom but they can have a solid bottom. Dizzy bowls are a very involved process and work best with a jig to cut thin layers with a bandsaw.

The lathe itself is made in either a lathe mounted or freestanding with motor. Mine is lathe mount. There are accessories to set the blades (yes there are two) . One blade cuts the front and one cuts the back. The cutting mechanism is moved forward after each cut .

Rings are stacked and clamped for gluing.

IMG_2538.JPG.4fe9537337744ca2b7e8e8079e7b7f54.JPG

Blank glued up and planed.

IMG_2766.JPG.876cdc096053030547182bde81740fd7.JPG

This is the top view. You can see the original board in the bottom.

IMG_2764.JPG.174cc8fc8803a84e051b379005a7107b.JPG

IMG_4400.JPG.bec1e9d267a4a573018e6ba6f076852a.JPGIMG_4398.JPG.e5dd55d7f44a02e38d654cf6f2a059b8.JPG

IMG_4628.JPG

YUP! That’s what I want to be able to do. 

I learned about the ringmaster 30 years ago when working for Shopsmith and sold the Smitty model units.  I agree with Steve about their limitations but it is a great way to convert flat stock into a turning.