Hello

Pauley

Thanks for allowing me here.  I’m a disabled Vietnam vet.  I served just shy of three tours in the central highlands of Vietnam.  Came home with some problems and began woodworking, which I’ve always had an interest in.  It has proven to be great therapy for me.  I’ve since began woodturning.  I think a good woodworker should learn as many aspects as possible, like turning, building, carving, etc....not that I’m proficient in all aspects,  it I usually make an attempt to try things I haven’t done.  Here is a photo of a cherry Shaker Wall Clock.  I made several of these and donated them for silent auctions and money donated to veteran charities.  The second photo is a bowl with a carving of a flower in celebration of spring.  This is from hard maple and is approximately 10 1/2 inches wide.

3723E89B-66AA-479E-BD6F-F4AB2519FC92.jpeg

59473F67-BE5A-40CF-B726-9B5ECDD12A65.jpeg

19 minutes ago, FlGatorwood said:

Welcome from another Vietnam vet.  Sailor on carrier.  I love that bowl.  Is that stain?  How is it finished?

Welcome home, brother...I seldom ever use a stain.  I like to let the beauty of the wood come through.  I sanded that bowl to about 12000 grit then I use a product called Aussie Oil for the finish.  I used a small trim router to carve the flower on the bottom of the bowl and then turn until it comes through on the other side.  The clear resin is colored with a green tint for the leaves and a red for the flower itself.

Just now, FlGatorwood said:

Wow!  That is impressive.  How thin is the wood after routing?  

When I carve the bottom, I make it about 1/2 inch deep.  So once I’m done scraping the bottom, then sanding, it gets to be about 3/8 to 7/16.  

7 hours ago, Gerald said:

Welcome to the crew. You have some fine works going on . Glad you finally made it , see you in the woodturning form

7 hours ago, Gerald said:

Welcome to the crew. You have some fine works going on . Glad you finally made it , see you in the woodturning form

Thank you...

4 minutes ago, Al B said:

Paul, I just noticed you're from New Hampshire. Not many of us New Englanders  here. Where in NH ? I'm located in MA, just over the border from NH in Salisbury. Artie is a  little further west in Pepperell MA.

Hi Al.  I live in Derry, NH.  Not that far from Salisbury. Originally, I’m from Southie, but my wife and I moved up here to be closer to the grandkids.

Edited by Pauley

1 hour ago, Pauley said:

Hi Al.  I live in Derry, NH.  Not that far from Salisbury. Originally, I’m from Southie, but my wife and I moved up here to be closer to the grandkids.

So if my simple mind is still working, that’s 3 from Mass JimmieM, AlB, and meself, and 1 expatriate from Mass, now a New Hampshirite Pauley. Al, we’re gonna need a booth for our next TPW NE edition luncheon.