Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

John Morris

Shaker Transitional Rocker Part 4 (Curly Maple)

Rate this topic

A really nice essay.  Never thought of tanning a project but, you're right. It does make that curly pop. Thanks for the tip.

As to the slower pace....nature has a way of insuring that as we age. Today, I spent an hour chopping and paring a few hinge mortises that could have been made in a quarter of the time with a router. It was enjoyable. But, now the chisels need sharpening. :OldManSmiley:

5 minutes ago, Cal said:

That BLO sure brought out the grain, the tanning process took it to the next level! I have never heard of doing this.  Are there areas that were shaded out, or did you have to turn the chair occasionally to get an even tan?

Cal, nothing notable or even noticeable for that matter, but I never thought of shadows! Great point! Yet I did not see anything that caught my eye.

Heard the tanning long time ago but just never did it and forgot about it. Oh do not try on walnut as sunlight lightens it. Sun also does wonder on purple heart and cherry. Great tutorial you have going on all of this chair project . On sanding even on turnings a hand sanding for last two grits with the grain does wonders to improve the look and remove visible scratches.

4 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Good to see you back in the shop.  Helps clear the mind, for me at least...

Thanks Gunny, today is probably the best day I have had since this all started. I feel danged close to normal, for me anyway.

Hey, John glad to see you up and kicking again. The chair looks really good! :Cheer:I think I'll give the suntanning trick a try the next time I make a j-box using curly maple. B)

However, I have to ask, do you have that wolf under control? Is he dangerous? :BugEyeSmiley:

Edited by hatuffej

3 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Hat, man I have to say, are you talking about my little doggy not in the picture? He's sleeping off in a corner. 

Yeah, I saw him pretending to be asleep in the upper pictures with the linseed oil bowl. Sneaky things, they are. Sometimes one of my daughter's "cougars" would sneak in and lay down on my work. 

Edited by hatuffej

1 minute ago, hatuffej said:

Yeah, I saw him pretending to be asleep in the upper pictures. Sneaky things, they are. Sometimes one of my daughter's "cougars" would sneak in and lay down on my work. 

:lol: it's funny how they do that. Those little cougars are very infamous for just plopping down on things aren't they? We used to have a cat that would love to climb up on your chest when you are trying to reading a book, and she'd just lay right across the danged book you were reading, no shame!

1 minute ago, John Morris said:

:lol: it's funny how they do that. Those little cougars are very infamous for just plopping down on things aren't they? We used to have a cat that would love to climb up on your chest when you are trying to reading a book, and she'd just lay right across the danged book you were reading, no shame!

I didn't mind that much until they started using the claws for increased traction up my chest and shoulders. :wacko: 

1 minute ago, hatuffej said:

I didn't mind that much until they started using the claws for increased traction up my chest and shoulders. :wacko: 

YES! That always bugged the heck out of me. We had a tabby that did that, she was a sweat heart but man her claws, she'd like to lay on you and expand and contract her claws while resting, she would purrrr the whole time too.