Face Plate question

Ron Altier

I seldom use my faceplate, maybe once a year or so. When I do use it and then try to remove it, it is a difficult task. It does not have a hole in the shaft to insert a rod to hold it in place to turn it off, like my chuck does. I am seriously considering  drilling a hole in the shaft to insert a rod.

Am I missing something? Is there a simple way?

Would it be better to drill it in the shaft or flange? I don't believe it would cause a balance problem, would it?

Edited by Ron Altier
sp

Thanks, all the info helped me to determine that my stock faceplate is cheap junk. The video was very informative.  I have determined that my faceplate is cast iron and if I bore a hole or grind flat surfaces on it, it may weaken. I have ordered one from Easy Wood, I should say it is on the Amazon order, my wife will complete the order when she adds some things.

Thanks for the advise and help

Nice piece of information to know.  I have never had anything like that on a Shopsmith as it is secured to the quill shaft with a set screw.  As with most other screws on the machine, it is an allen head.  The quill shaft it 5/8" with a reverse taper on one side to prevent the attachment from coming off.  To tighten, you simply tighten the screw while rocking the faceplate or chuck to ensure that the set screw is correctly seated.  However, sometimes it would be nice to be able to push a rod through the headstock to remove something.  As of yet, I have not had a problem but I can see the potential.  Thanks for this information.  Now, if I can remember, I can assist someone with a similar problem.  

On 6/6/2019 at 9:56 AM, Ron Altier said:

I have ordered one from Easy Wood

And thank you for your support of our sponsor Ron. Very grateful.

I have the EWT faceplate, the fit and finish is tops.

@Jim from Easy Wood Tools would be very happy to know our folks here are considering EWT for their turning needs.