Wood Turning 101 - What You Need to Know to Get Started on the Lathe

Gerald

Something we do not talk about unless someone asks is how to get started and what tools do I need. Here is a post in Instructables with Carl Jacobson giving the advise on everything from starting lathe to accessories to tools and then some turning. This is a excellent primer for a beginner to get a basic knowledge of lathes and tools.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Wood-Turning-101-What-You-Need-To-Know-To-Get-Star/

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Woodpeckah said:

Awesome video bud thank you! I just ordered a Nova comet II and I can’t wait! What kind of chisels would you recommend? I mean carbide or standard or a combination? Thank you again.

Semper Fi,

Joe

Gouges to start I recommend a bowl gouge 3/8 inch is a good starter, Spindle gouge also 3/8, parting tool and Thompson Lathe Tools are my go to. You can spend 250 or more for comparable carbide tools so I usually do not recommend all that for a start but you can get one carbide for roughing with either the square or semi round cutter og which Easy Wood also makes a negative rake style which is slower but gets a smoother cut.

Dumb question about WD 40 on the lathe bed...Why not use something like a good paste wax?  That is what is recommended on many tools such as saw tables.  It makes wood slide over the table easily, keeps down the rust and if very beneficial in keeping the wood moving.  If I had a lathe, I would use Johnsons or Minwax paste wax to make the tail stock slide easily and help the dust and shavings to move off easily.  Just wondering.  

4 minutes ago, FlGatorwood said:

Dumb question about WD 40 on the lathe bed...Why not use something like a good paste wax? 

WD-40 was designed to displace water, and little else  I use it to spray down metal tools that get wet.  Wipe them down good and let dry then wipe off again and put away.  Things like clamps, hammer, screwdrivers, or sockets.  For this task it works well.  Paste wax is what you want for saws or lathes.    

WD-40 will make the bed clean and slide fairly well. Woodturning is dirty and most of us turn wet wood and wet wood causes corrosion and rust so what works on that ,WD-40.  Now true wax will work too but would have to dry the lathe bed first. Also I user a sanding sponge to clean the bed with the WD and clean off CA and no I would have to be using the lathe for many many years to sand the bed away.

@Woodpeckah Glad you got some good from it Joe. You will probably want to upgrade tools in a year or two but that will get you started then one more at a timer. You know we tell everyone this next tool is the one that will make me a great turner.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to reply but just an update. I am officially a wood turner! It’s freakin awesome! Made a smallish stand and got it broken in then turned my first piece of wood!! I made a quick blank of untreated pine and after watching a few videos figured out how to use the tools and voila! 

D4A93EBD-A79D-4B74-B63B-D0D4F7B31654.jpeg

51D6DF25-1AF5-40D3-ADFB-23E25F0C6562.jpeg

Thanks y’all, Lew that was more fun than anything I’ve built. It really opened my eyes to entire new realm of possibilities. I already have a catalogue of pen, shakers, and handle kits and blanks. Vibration was the first thing I checked for, thick felt feet and leveled. I will say this, I never realized how drunk the cement guys were when they leveled my garage floor until I started building furniture. 

HandyDan thank you for the warning, this is a temp bench and I am in the process of nuking my entire workshop and doing a new layout and equipment stands. I just got it and the tools so I had to try it out. I will definitely put on my dancing shoes though until I finish.

Semper Fi,

Joe

2 hours ago, Woodpeckah said:

this is a temp bench

As you are working pay attention to where you naturally want to put things.  Keep a notebook of your observations.  These notes will be helpful in making a stand / bench build.  My two lathes are mounted to a bench about 7 ft long with drawers underneath.  I store kits for pens and such, lathe tools, lathe accessories and smaller pieces of wood and Corian and acrylic.  I don't seem to have pictures on this PC so I will make some in next few days.  Give you something to look at.  Others will also offer ideas.  Use what works best for you.  A carefully laid out plan will work out much better in the long run.

My 2 cents worth anyway. :D 

That is a nice lathe . Now to the stand. I can show you one I made but remember I kinda overbuild. There is a box underneath the drawers fillex with sand running the length of the stand. The purpose is to add weight and as a new turner you will need it to stabilize the lathe when turning bowls. Drawers not a necessity but I like drawers. Currently I have none under any of my lathes. Also of note this was for my first lathe. Made from cherry.P1271604.JPG.b84a67480038a18f81c6132e15927510.JPG