BIG boulder

Ron Altier

6 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Ron that is huge! There could be a car under that an nobody would even know. I have a question, do you know what kind of rock that is? It's pretty dark in color, out here in So Cal we have a lot of granite, gray in color, but nothing that dark in color.

Coal.😀

The news this morning said that the boulder weighed approx 1.5 to 2.0 million pounds. I think they used a professional guesstimater They had one blasted into smaller pieces and was preparing to blast the other. It snowed again in the mountains and this season is one of the record snow winters up there. Now the serious part comes......a quick thaw and rain would be disastrous 

From Wikipidea: In the construction industry, black rocks that share the hardness and strength of granitic rocks are known as black granite. In geological terms black granite might be gabbro, diabase, basalt, diorite, norite, or anorthosite.[1]

In my area, it might be dolomite, a magnesium limestone. 

4 hours ago, hatuffej said:

From Wikipidea: In the construction industry, black rocks that share the hardness and strength of granitic rocks are known as black granite. In geological terms black granite might be gabbro, diabase, basalt, diorite, norite, or anorthosite.[1]

In my area, it might be dolomite, a magnesium limestone. 

So... it's a rock, then! :unsure:

John

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

I hope there's a video of that blasting.

It will take 5 years for all the government agencies to approve it.  You need watershed to deal with erosion, EPA for effects on environment of blasting rock into the air, then of course 3 years of oral dysentery in the courts over the rights of the boulder to remain a solid boulder.

:JawDrop:

Archived