Save some labor

Smallpatch

15 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

I have never used any plans I've ordered from any of the scroll saw companies but I have made a few of most of the patterns I have bought...

Great tip on the stack cutting. I cut Xmas gift tags out of luan & let the kids paint them, I can do 6 at a time.

I have done the same and created a master pattern folder. Just copy what you need. I've gone as far as marking the type of wood & the time it takes from start to finish.

Jess the clocks look great. I always wanted to do an Apostles clock that Wildwood has a pattern for. I purchased several books by Patrick Spielman, then my mother in-law told me I can just go to the library and get the books for free & copy the patterns I wanted. That's pretty much when I had the idea for a pattern book. I remember when you did the 12 days, its a nice pattern and yours came out great.

As for Ducksoup, its a life long love of the Marx Brothers movies.

IMG_2004.JPG.791d733792dca19e481e2cb525f09e1c.JPG

Bob you will need a printer if you install Rapid Resizer and here while back my old printer hit the trash basket and I replaced it with the cheapest printer Walmart had on sale 20.00. This is what it does when making much larger pictures than what I stored of the computer... It does make the small dotted lines showing where to cut with scissors just like the most expensive printer does..then tape it together front and back to glue on to the clear Scotch brand packing tape I install over the prepared wood . I do spray the stickum on to the top of the clear packing tape. This way after cutting out the pieces all the pattern can be removed without leaving any sticky residue on the wood.....Duck brand will leave sticky residue on much of the wood is the reason I use Scotch Brand. They do make many different types of packing tape and I do use the heavy duty shipping tape for it comes off with out tearing to pieces like the thinnest Scotch does...

Also after finding a picture on the internet always make that picture as large as possible before sending it to you computer...ensuring clearer lines to follow after you have Rapid Resizer enlarge the picture up to the preferred size. Some of the carving pictures I save gets real fuzzy when I enlarge them but when carving things no one but you knows if it was cut out following the lines with a scroll saw before you started carving the pieces or not....

I never use anything but Baltic Birch plywood . Only one place in Abilene, Tx carries BB and only in 1/2 and 3/8". I do use 1/8" and 1/4" a lot and have to order it from Woodworkers Source in Arizona and I have my choice of cut up sizes they have to cut up those 5 by 5' pieces before they can ship them so I have them cut all the pieces in to 20 x 30" pieces.  Freight is terrible so I wait till I can afford a train load at a time. The next shipment will be in Nov. 2028.

My daughter lives in Austin, tx and she found a cabinet shop who had lots of cut offs for a bargain. She called me and asked if I could use pieces that are about 15 x 30" ,, lots of them and she said she ask if they were Baltic Birch and the owner said that is all they use.....IMG_1490.JPG.acb7f0d57dcca644dd52dad12fc9c15c.JPG

I hate to tell my daughter she was another victim.

Good Lord. That is pure crap. That guy needs a world map! Vietnam is a long ways from the Baltic. 

Out of curiosity, I checked Woodworkers source in Tucson. 20 ea. 20" X30" sheets weighs 40 lbs and shipping (I used Waco TX) is $48.35 and the total with shipping is $118.53. Is that any help?

Gene occasionally they pay the freight if enough is ordered. This was the most important part of my story and I left it out. The last free freight shipment I got was when we were staying the three months in a Fun Valley, Colo. RV park...

This lumber yard in Abilene, tx that stocks 1/2 and 3/8" BB will order the 1/8 and 1/4" free shipping to their store if I can wait till they make a regular order of BB if I order 10 sheets at a time... 

Thanks for the Waco tip. I can drive the pickup for a load cheaper that what they charge for freight and visit my kids in Austin while going that direction... Also I need to check all the lumber yards in the Dallas, Fort Worth area some one probably stocks all the BB sizes. Abilene only stocks the 5 x 5' sheets.

When we lived in Odessa, tx and was going to Las Vegas every Super Bowl weekend Tucson and Phoenix was on our way. Then after moving to Breckenridge, tx we go a different route.. We also miss the beautiful scenery between Phoenix and Kingman. Somebody sure took a long time to stack all those small river rocks up like that....on a couple of years in a row they were installing some big electric transmission lines on top of those boulders... I thought how many guys changed their jobs after the first week of climbing over those rocks and there was always a few Helicopters floating around somewhere. 

Gene you forgot to mention what thickness plywood are you talking about.

woodworkers source has a deal if you buy 5 total sheets of 5 x5' at a time. They will cut them 20x30  or any number of sizes..If you pick them up at one of their stores either in Tucson or Phoenix.

1/8" is 2.40 a sheet of 20 x 30"  You would be getting 30 sheets of 20 x 30" to get this price.

1/4"  =  3. 25

3/8"  =  4.25

1/2"  =  5.09

3/4"  =  8.07