Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

kmealy -
HandyDan -

Top Posters

Anyone have a favorite garden hose rack?   I cannot use something attached to the wall, just freestanding, preferably without a crank and not a box.   Anything I see on Lowe's site looks like a flimsy wire rack that might not hold my 100' hose.  Might just end up making a saw-horsey thing out of PT 2x.

That's a tall order. Assume it needs to be mobile. We use a reel on wheels with a tow bar and crank. Could be used without the crank, I guess. 

Tall order for sure... We have about 20 long hoses and the only time they are put up is when the grass starts dying in the fall... this cart is about half full of hoses but I needed it for when I do wood planning I use it to sit the planer on. Beats bending over that's for sure. The hoses sit in that cart till I start using them in the spring then I use the cart for when I start trimming trees and things.. Yes and if I forget to drain those home made sprinklers before the freeze comes I have repairing to do before they are used again.

I am bad about not cutting the grass where the hoses are laying so now my wife hears the mower running and she comes out and moves hoses to a mowed area so I can continue my chore...IMG_9549.JPG.5222013d6111cec2664dfac4270124c6.JPG 

Whatever you make put two arms on it so the hose can be wrapped up in a figure "8".  That keeps the hose from being twisted.  At least while it is being wrapped that is.

How about a old metal rim, and some 2 inch pipe?  Anyplace that welds can easily attach a y arm for the hose.  Set the pipe in the rim and pour some concrete.  50-60 lbs of concrete and the weight of the rim is plenty for a 100 ft hose.  Or you could use 2 1/2 PVC pipe and fill with concrete mix.  I have a 3 inch pipe attached to side of house, filled with concrete.  Where I used lag bolts to attach I put in 1/2 CPVC spacers so the bolts would pass through.  So far has held up about 7 years.  Never thought or needed it mobile.

This is what we have Keith, gone through two of them in 17 years, they seem ok, I keep telling myself I am going to make one to last the ages, but if I do, more than likely my wife won't be able to move it around.

This one she moves around without issues. Home Depot 50 bucks.

suncast-hose-reels-storage-cpllgn212j12-

This the one we have. Pneumatic tires. Plastic doesn't hold up on our terrain. Holds 50' + of heavy duty rubber hose. 

61ZB9WJncDL._SX679_.jpg.df8e94676f495b7b347b7617d2faad31.jpg

We've got the same one as Gene, with 400' of hose.

It can reach anywhere on our little 2 acre place.

2 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

We've got the same one as Gene, with 400' of hose.

The pins in my arm and wrist are against rolling up 400 feet of hose, EVER!!  Now mount a nice electric motor and we can talk.  

:throbbinghead:

1 minute ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

The pins in my arm and wrist are against rolling up 400 feet of hose, EVER!!  Now mount a nice electric motor and we can talk.  

:throbbinghead:

I've got a shoulder that is bone on bone, along with a messed up wrist.

I drag the hose up in sections then crank it onto the hose real. Rinse & repeat until all 400' gets wound up. 

18 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

I drag the hose up in sections then crank it onto the hose real. Rinse & repeat until all 400' gets wound up.

Negative, my pins think even this is a terrible idea!  Now the electric motor and push a button let the machine do the work, they like this!!!:throbbinghead:

6 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Negative, my pins think even this is a terrible idea!  Now the electric motor and push a button let the machine do the work, they like this!!!:throbbinghead:

My neighbor has a big winch that would probably hold quite a bit of hose, but you'd need a truck to power/move it. :DevilLaughing:

Let's see... Pull the crank off. Slip a pulley on the shaft, another pulley for a rod stuck in a Milwaukee 1/2" drill, get some link belt, and an extension cord and, you're in business....sorta.  

26 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

My neighbor has a big winch that would probably hold quite a bit of hose, but you'd need a truck to power/move it.

Have truck, no problem.  :JawDrop:

12 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Have truck, no problem.  :JawDrop:

We think the winch came off an Army deuce and a half with PTO drive. It's about 2 1/2' wide and weighs more than two of us can lift.

@kmealy

Keith,

I forgot about this one.

I made this one up for my wife. She puts a flower pot in the top. :D

1574311093_HoseRack1.PNG.0677ef4e19c0046182263996a305840e.PNG

1192921479_HoseRack2.PNG.0cc253bf074957af871ca7ef7fb91225.PNG

1158282223_HoseRack3.PNG.9e207545116080961fca45c3c10f8683.PNG

I used a rusted out milk can, automobile rim, and one of those hose stakes with the hose rack built on.

It holds 100' of hose.

Corollary: When you are a woodworker, you tend to think of every problem having a wooden solution.

Two PT 2x4s, a few 60 degree cuts and a handful of screws.  100' of hose.

2019_05190002.JPG.5b9c180ce2aef22cf23ba4c1d646347b.JPG

image.png.3331fe372f2783b278a974645fae2664.png