Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Ron Altier -
Ron Altier -

Top Posters

Sounds reasonable to me Ron, I also heard that when they are relocated they do have a small chance of survival. Sounds like by taking just a few precautions the little guy will move on.

If trapped in Ohio, it has to be released on your property or disposed of ( humanely euthanized.)   It is illegal to relocate as they don't want fatal diseases transmitted.   

3 hours ago, Chips N Dust said:

Back when I was trapping, rule of thumb for raccoon sets -  always set 2 to 4 traps per set site. Raccoons travel in groups and if there is one, more than likely there are 2 or more. I can't remember who many doubles I got with that thinking.

I had (at least) one that was climbing up to the eaves and living in my shed.   Fortunately, my neighbor alerted me.   Got two in the trap and then a possum.   I think that might take care of critters for a while.

My last house had a "crazy (animal) lady" who lived next door.   5 gal pail of bread every afternoon for the deer, 8 or so feeders that were filled 3x a day, including at dusk.  Trips to GA for 500 lb of pecans, and a commercial truck that delivered other foods. Our whole suburban neighborhood was full of birds (starlings, mostly), deer, squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons, and possums.  Her garage and aviary (screen areas added onto the feed shed) were full of wildlife rescue animals, who once just released in the yard, had no fear of humans -- I'd often get buzzed by a bird who wanted to land on my shoulder.   One of the reasons I wanted to move away from the nuttiness (no pun intended).  I got tired of trying to protect my property from damage.

When I was in high school, there was a golf course built in my home township.   Some of my classmates worked as construction labor.  A number of years later, it was closed, fenced off and became a private hunting reserve club.  That apparently went bust and now people are seeing wild boar that have escaped and are roaming the area.  http://www.wfmj.com/story/40347725/usda-traps-22-wild-boar-in-vienna-township  "euthanized humanely."

Edited by kmealy

This is not a raccoon story, but one about a hawk.  I don't know the kind, but grandpa said it was a chicken hawk.  He kept flying around for days.  Then one day in August about 2 in the afternoon, he landed on the telephone wires, if you remember them.  (Short poles with many wires strung on top of glass insulators.)   Anyway, grandpa got his 12 guage double barrel and made his way behind some trees in the yard until he got a good bead on the hawk.  He got that hawk in the wing and he fell into the corn field.  Grandpa went after him.  When paw found him in one of the rows, the hawk spread his wings and charged at grandpa.  The other barrel was emptied into the chest of the bird.  We brought it back to the house, cleaned it just like you would a chicken.  Granny cooked that stinky bird for 3 days and it was so tough that the dogs had a hard time eating it.  It was nasty.  Good memories.  :Laughing:

My permit says I can shoot one raccoon a day, legally. Here, they are considered non edible. I don't think one needs a permit to shoot wild boars...squirrels like to eat the insulation off of electric wires. And someone keeps killing the cats we feed but never let in the house. For mouse catching, and rats...