Japanese Knives, Marking, Carving

Folks, I would like to know what these knives primary purpose is. I received them from the estate of a woodcarver, among many other talents he had. They look a tad rusty at the knife portion but man the cutting edge is surgical sharp!

They are about 6" long and range from 1/2" to 1" wide, and about 1/8" thick. They all have makers marks or as I have learned with Japanese tools, the stamps could be philosophical musings. 

Any help identifying the actual use appreciated.

IMG_20190511_131054.jpg

IMG_20190511_130928.jpg

IMG_20190511_130755514.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 1:38 PM, kmealy said:

notes should not be used for carving due to hardness

Well that is so true I found out, while chopping mortises I used the tip of the marking knife I was using to lay them out, as a little probe to help dig out some tiny chunks of wood from the mortise, the tip broke, dang, now I have to regrind and re-shape!

48 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Well that is so true I found out, while chopping mortises I used the tip of the marking knife I was using to lay them out, as a little probe to help dig out some tiny chunks of wood from the mortise, the tip broke, dang, now I have to regrind and re-shape!

Would dental picks be an option? 

36 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Maybe cut your tenons a little short:rolleyes:

That's a good idea in normal situations Gene, for square mortise and tenons etc, but the chair slats have a predetermined depth they must fit into, in order to give the rear chair legs a flared effect at the top, the mortises are chopped in graduated depths, normally though you are right, you could simply cut a hair off the tenon and call it good, but this is chair making man!:lol: We are special you know.