Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

Rate this topic

For years have been snagging clothes and apron on the pin on Grizzly BS that keeps the table flat. Have made two new pins and today got an idea to never have that problem again. I made a new pin from all thread and then got a piece of oak from scrap bin and drilled a hole and threaded on .

C1534E05-96C1-4F83-9768-DB3E4792E142.jpeg.1e0e3426e0ef0765ed4601b87da4b78e.jpeg 

F974B02C-7DC0-41F1-8FE8-DC8658C295E6.jpeg.e80be1d748f0fbf860eb388564991871.jpeg

90A6AE75-A38B-48F1-9E58-60DD8A7525AE.jpeg

14 minutes ago, HandyDan said:

My Delta has a tapered pin.  Maybe just modify the original pin.

My JET is same way, probably just mill down a new one that has threads on one side that go into the block of wood.  Thinking a nice scrap of purpleheart or maybe some IPE would do nicely.

Well now I know what that pin is for.

Always thought that it was for either keeping the slit open to facilitate changing the blade or for just keeping the slit open, period.

thks for the wake up call

but that begs the question--- how would you adjust the flatness of the table with the pin?

4 hours ago, HandyDan said:

The table is split to allow blade changes.  The pin isn't an adjustment it is used to hold the table in place and keep it from warping.

Dan hit it and in just the few days the split was not level but putting the pin in brought it back. I will probably lose a million in royalties but this is open end programing.

6 hours ago, Smallpatch said:

Why not just put a headless bolt with a slot in it and screw it in to where nothing is sticking out past the end of the table. I have three different size band saws and nothing is sticking out past the table on mine.

That's a great idea too Jess, a little modification on a bolt would do it.

Let me ask, do your bolts still have the threads on them, and if so, do they tend to grab as you slide them in and out? Thanks.

37 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Let me ask, do your bolts still have the threads on them, and if so, do they tend to grab as you slide them in and out?

I also am curious.  Two ways I can think to do this.  One thread the hole and screw it in, or take the bolt and using a drill, or a metal lath if one has one handy smooth down the threads.  

Myself I am going with Gerald's idea, smoothing out the threads then thread the other side into what will be the handle.  My thoughts on it are I don't need a screwdriver, okay I am lazy, and I can twist the wood handle easily with my bad wrist if needed. :lol: