Best cordless drill under $100

4 hours ago, PeteM said:

I have subbed CR for quite a few years, but haven't for the past 2 (I don't buy much that they test).  So, without a subscription, I was able to access the CR reports.  They did a pretty comprehensive testing, and the Buyer's Guide shows quite a few metrics (such as battery life).  As for deconstruction of tools, it's really hard to determine worth from what amateurs and semi-pros find inside.  I saw a video on a Festool tool, and it was amazing how much plastic is inside that pricey stuff.  I don't think there's much correlation between value/life and longevity from any test but time.

That's why I drive a car that's 18 years young:  still testing the parts.

You got me beat on that mine is only 16 effective years use. Have in that time replaced a few defective parts.

I use the Milwaukee M12, maybe not the best but they are lighter weight and that factored into my decision.  A bad wrist likes lighter tools better.:lol:

One thing I do like is the manufactures are producing a line of tools you can use your batteries with.  And a pretty decent selection.  Finally broke down and bought a right angle drill.  Got tired of having to get the pneumatic one, and lately I seem to have more call for it.   

I've had the 18V Dewalt complete set from my deck building days and they were too heavy and powerful for most shop jobs.  I bought the Hitachi 12V drill and impact set for the shop when it went on sale for $99 years ago and love it.  Since then I bought lithium ion batteries for the Dewalt which made them lighter but still prefer the Hitachi drill and impact for the shop.

image.png.17d7fa04917d109abfc3804b8bff3b70.png

My battery powered drills started with 12v Craftsman with the heavy, short lived NiCad batteries. When they updated the drill, the old batteries didn't fit. That really ticked me off. I then went to Hitachi and it didn't last long at all. I don't use one much and I was really disappointed. I then got a Porter Cable and I am still using it. If I was a contractor, I would do research and find out what other contractors use. As it is, I think many of the newer drill would serve me well. Maybe not HF:D

It's nice to be helpful Artie, but there comes a time when you have to put yourself first. Let people know you are busy and tell them they will have to wait to get their projects done. If this upsets them, then they are not the friends you thought they were. As for family, well, they can wait too. #1 should be your first priority. You only have one life to live.

Edited by Al B