Friday, May 3, 2019, What’s on your Patriot Woodworker agenda?

You're so right, John. The days are getting longer but, they seem to go by faster. That's a tragic tale. But, your engraving may ease their pain. 

Do you have to allow for the plumbing in that kitchen build? Thats going to be a really handy addition to someone's deck. As always, nice work. 

i just ordered a new laser. Not a CO 2 though. But, it is 5 times the power of the one I've been using. So, I'm preparing a place to set it up. It's first job will be a run of mesquite whiskey boxes. Prepping the slabs now. 

8 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Do you have to allow for the plumbing in that kitchen build? Thats going to be a really handy addition to someone's deck. As always, nice work. 

i just ordered a new laser. Not a CO 2 though. But, it is 5 times the power of the one I've been using. So, I'm preparing a place to set it up. It's first job will be a run of mesquite whiskey boxes. Prepping the slabs now. 

No thankfully we don’t have to do any of the plumbing, just provide an opening and set the sink in place. 

53 minutes ago, John Morris said:

John, sounds like a wonderful and meaningful time in the shop, what a great project.

Now that Green Egg unit, is that a new design for you to build? And if so, could this end up in your portfolio for others to follow?

Great work man!

This is the biggest one we will have built so far. It will be in three pieces so we can deliver it and then attach it together on site. I would be happy if we got others this large. It’s a lot of fun. 

Trees, and breaks, and more...

After spending last weekend in Savannah I spent a couple days under the house on the kitchen project.

Thursday SWMBO needed to travel to Norcross for a work meeting and to pick up a new (to her) truck to replace the one she had which kept breaking down.  I took the opportunity to walk through a couple stores in Atlanta that specialize in counter tops.  My interest is not in the counter top, but rather the back splash.  I've looked at literally hundreds of pictures and displays, most all of which feature tile of some sort.  The tile is not striking a chord...  I've just not found one that I want to live with for the next 30 years...  Looking for options, and I really didn't see anything Thursday that made me say "this is it"!

But, on Thursday evening we met our daughter and her boyfriend for supper in Norcross.  Before they arrived we walked around the older historic part of downtown Norcross.  Very beautiful little city, tucked inside what those of us in south GA call Atlanta.  I went to inspect an historical marker on one corner and discovered a Georgia State Champion Tree!

IMG_2846.jpg.831ed085006b8d50c57856315f828616.jpg

A very lovely specimen, for sure.  But nothing like the elm trees that I remember growing up.  The elms that I remember were very tall, straight trunks, with a vase crown of branches at the top.  In any event, I was delighted to have run across this tree.

IMG_2847.jpg.bf9727e90d2eba4c7c94d42b0e23ec52.jpg

Now that I am back home it is back to the kitchen.  If weather holds I should have the subfloor in place today.

Oh yes, the wife was quite happy with the new truck.  Her co-worker that was using it had it completely detailed the day before and it shone like a new penny.  Lots more bells and whistles; and the company has given her the ok to upgrade it with a couple more options that it doesn't have, remote mirrors and a back up camera.

Edited by Cal

21 minutes ago, Gerald said:

That is my jacket hanging on the tree. Where I have been cutting is about 15 feet to the right of the jacket.

Is this on your property, is it a blow over tree? How'd it get to the ground like that? Just curious is all Gerald, I am always in awe how my friends in the midwest are able to acquire their lumber.

15 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Not my property, was advertised on FB. It is about 37 miles to it and was extremely happy to find it. After turning some of it that was not large enough can see that finding a tree large enough to do this project was a blessed event. Tree may have gone down in November or December. He is having someone clear it and will hold another log for me . As a thank you I plan to make a bowl for him from the tree,

What a find, I hope to see the work here Gerald, what a great way to honor a fallen giant like that.

John, if I understand the story regarding the gun engraving, it is a very sad story and I am so sorry for your friends loss. :( But, a really nice job on the gun stock.  Are you going to leave it like that or stain and polish it?  

Also, a real super job on the egg work station.  Can hardly wait to see the finished product.  

Gerald,  I suppose that tree fell when Hurricane Michael went through Georgia last year.  That's what hurricanes do.  It appears to be a rather aged tree and a good wind storm and especially a hurricane or tropical storm would do this to older pecans and oaks.  Excellent find.  I see bowls coming.  

Edited by FlGatorwood