Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Chips N Dust

Things my mom taught me

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Chips N Dust -
Al B -

Top Posters

Continuing with my story: The 4 of us kids moved in with my dad and step mother. I soon learned that my step mother had been married before and had 2 sons from that marriage. I was never given any details about why, but her parents had custody of her younger son. Her oldest son would have been about my age. He was killed after falling off the back of a pick up truck when he was 11. "Ironic that this subject was discussed here".

We were living in the town where my step mother grew up , but within less than year we moved back to the town and house where I lived in my early growing years. This brought back lots of memories, and when I mentioned my mom, it apparently bothered my step mother. Dad then got involved with our differences and over short time  I soon became the target of her displeasure. It seemed that no matter what it was,an argument with my sisters, a disagreement with her , a skuffle with my brother, it was, "wait till your father gets home". When he got home, his response was a slap to the face at first, but over time this turned into a whipping with his belt, and the whippings got progressively worse over a period of over 3 years.

It was during my sophmore year in high school when my step mother's mother passed away.  Her son who was living with her, now had to move in with us. We did get along well, but one day while out in the front yard, I found a jackknife. I put it in my pocket, and while whittleing with it that evening, Dick saw me using it and right away said, "that's my knife. We began arguing about it and it didn't take my dad long to get involved. I told him that I had found the knife but Dick said it was his. Dad said give him the knife and I told him it was mine , I had found it outside. That was all it took. The belt came off and I got the beating of all beatings. When it stopped, he said, give him the knife,  or do you wan't more?  I had had enough. I ran, grabbed my coat and ran out the door. This was December 19 and the weather was cold. I had no idea where I was going to go or what I was going to do, but I knew I was never going back home.

These weren't the years you would like to read about so I skimmed past this time. Totally unpleasant. Now I was on my own.

Thanks  Gator. While our stories were 20 years apart I'm sure the pain and fury we felt were the same. I left home Dec 19, 1946. I plan to continue with the story, but I'll admit, bringing this all back isn't easy.So many things happened over the years that have to do with my brother and sisters that come to mind,but won't be mentioned here.

Al and Gator, strong men you are! Survivors!

@Al B, reading with great interest sir! I am enthralled with this journey. Anytime you want to share more I'm all eyes on this. Thank you for putting it down in type.

Al, with the number of views over 400, i would say that a lot of us are thinking about your journey and how it happened.   When you're ready to share more, please do.