kerfmaker

Good morning guys, I need to make myself one of these and am wondering you have made one and could share yours? I have looked thru YouTube and have found ones that are super simple from a piece of wood with a screw at one end to some very nice looking ones. The bulk of these videos don't go into the differences and the extra things the "fancier" ones can do. 

Am leaning towards this one by Mafe, https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/37513.

1 hour ago, PostalTom said:

OK.  Showing my ignorance here.  What is a kerf maker and how is it used?  I clicked on the link above, but got a warning from McAfee that it is a risky site containing malware, so didn't finish opening the link.  

Good question, I posted a good video that explains it's use and how to make one.  See video above, I was having a techie moment this morning, need more coffee!!

1 hour ago, PostalTom said:

OK.  Showing my ignorance here.  What is a kerf maker and how is it used?  I clicked on the link above, but got a warning from McAfee that it is a risky site containing malware, so didn't finish opening the link.  

Pretty sure that was a false positive with your antivirus. Just tried that link and my "Avast" didn't complain. 

2 hours ago, PostalTom said:

I paid $110.00 for a similar device from Woodpeckers, and it didn't have an adjustment for the blade thickness

I will oftentimes make my own and see how much I use it, what improvements can be made, or finally buy one.

Here is a magnetic micrometer I made and use for set-ups on the TS and BS, or anything with a metal base.

IMG_0529.JPG.d218e4d514a0a1ce1990fb08ee9629bc.JPG   IMG_0530.JPG.bba7d782137d7ed5370e40b8cc4f2f90.JPG

As Shopsmith users can attest, we find magnetic devices of limited value...darn it. At least my bandsaw has a steel table but fence alignment isn't a major concern for me on the bandsaw. To align my TS fence, I use one of my adjustable story sticks and a playing card. Works for me.