Work Bench Types or Categories

I built this adjustable height workbench, using an RV scissor jack as the elevating mechanism. Raises high enough to act as an outfeed table for my TS, lowers enough that I can sit on a bucket while I work there. I added small storage cabinets on either side to hold the small tools - tape, square, marking knife, etc. - that I typically use. I didn't attach a vise as I use various clamp-on work holding set-ups, like this bench bull, as needed.

IMG_4314.JPG

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4572.JPG

IMG_4194.JPG

IMG_4193.JPG

59 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Now that is brilliant.

Tom, what made you build an adjustable height bench, what was your reasoning or influence?

John, 

I have to admit that it was a combination of a similar build by a member of another forum plus the lack of extra space in my shop. With this table, I was able to eliminate the existing fold-up/fold-down outfeed table on the TS and replace it with this which allows me to raise/lower the work surface depending on what I'm doing at the time. I have an open area in my workshop (2 car garage) where my motorcycle sits at night, the bench was sized to fit between the TS and my other (larger) bench so that I could move it into the open space - where it's actually sitting in the photos, you can see the m/c sitting outside on the other side of the roll-up door - and move it back to it's "normal" position at the end of the day. You can kind of see the TS to the right of the bench in this photo.

IMG_4471.JPG

1 hour ago, John Morris said:

@tomp, one more question, when it's extended up, how does it feel when banging on the top of it, is it still solid, a bit mushy, or do you even use it for work that would require some banging and hammering?

John, 

I don't set an anvil on the top and bang away, but it's been solid for any work that I've done on it so far. The lower section is made up from dressed 2x4 lumber, and the upper section is doubled 3/4" plywood on the same dressed 2x4 lumber, with the slotted "legs" made of 3/4" plywood joined into an angle with biscuits and screws. Even with the top raised to maximum (and with the casters retracted so that the legs are sitting on the floor, the assembly is rock solid and has held up to any hammering that I've done on it so far. As with any bench, if I'm doing any serious banging, I move the work so that it's over one of the legs. I installed threaded brass inserts into the lower legs and use two clamp knobs (with super-thick flat washers) at each leg, there has never been any indication of slipping or movement while I'm working on the bench.

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4138.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

IMG_4125.JPG

IMG_4116.JPG

The Ladder Bench...easy to set up.

.238451021_Ladderbenchsetup.JPG.f1897e96638f1a88d1dbdacafe201a85.JPG

Just need a step ladder..

1528827344_Ladderbenchsawbench.JPG.dfe5b70bbb9c9d4332081bd0adfa934f.JPG

Cut a plank to length(Saw bench?)

1820637354_Ladderbench1.JPG.558dc524c6ffad33843c2b088c811521.JPG

Crosscuts, anyone?

1565523833_Ladderbenchinuse.JPG.93c509a89c5eafde46651f220fc893b4.JPG

Joinery bench? ( was building  Saw bench, and later the Dungeon Shop Bench out here on the back porch.)

1533971474_Ladderbenchverticalclamping.JPG.4c028eedc375c7671225327eae9273b1.JPG

Can clamp things vertical, if need be (legs for the saw bench..)

719696795_polebarnbandsaws.JPG.c1b1b0627db24d391f25c46881bf3bcd.JPG

My, how things have change, from being out in a pole barn

SDC12740.JPG.007982a57a9f8b0264c4fe6e9c88153e.JPG

Or, outside on a back porch railing.....

15 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

No use in trying heaw goes. Near the coast a week end, stopped at a junk sale. came away with a Brace set at 45 degree angle, wuz told it was for ship building/repair, for boring next to wall,etc. $15. It works.

Buck, I guess there's not a way to post a pic? I'd like to see the sucker.

17 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

You are trying to make us look bad!!!  I don't see a speck of sawdust.  Now how did that happen.

Never mind, fire the maid that you have doing it post haste.

Or we may have to rethink your membership in the Brotherhood of Sawdust....

:throbbinghead:

That was the post construction view. Actually now it is a pileup place and the front vise is used for edge planing.

2 hours ago, tomp said:

John, 

I don't set an anvil on the top and bang away, but it's been solid for any work that I've done on it so far. The lower section is made up from dressed 2x4 lumber, and the upper section is doubled 3/4" plywood on the same dressed 2x4 lumber, with the slotted "legs" made of 3/4" plywood joined into an angle with biscuits and screws. Even with the top raised to maximum (and with the casters retracted so that the legs are sitting on the floor, the assembly is rock solid and has held up to any hammering that I've done on it so far. As with any bench, if I'm doing any serious banging, I move the work so that it's over one of the legs. I installed threaded brass inserts into the lower legs and use two clamp knobs (with super-thick flat washers) at each leg, there has never been any indication of slipping or movement while I'm working on the bench.

Tom that is a great idea and the TS outfeed makes it versatile but could also be used as assembly table for different size projects.

20 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Tom that is a great idea and the TS outfeed makes it versatile but could also be used as assembly table for different size projects.

Gerald,

For years, I worked off a pair of 2x4's on top of a pair of sawhorses with a piece of plywood on top of that. The goal when building the bench was to use that height as the minimum and the height of the saw table as a maximum, adjustable anywhere between those limits - and it's worked well so far. The only downside is that it really needs to be bigger, but I'm limited by needing to be able to move it between the table saw and my other bench. Most of the time it's being used at halfway between those extremes as that's what seems to work for me but it's nice to have it higher/lower when it needs to be.

IMG_5006.JPG

The only old style furniture bench I ever saw that i had an interest in had a flip over top to cover tools on a percentage of it. I thought it was cool because of the storage. I look around and see if I can find the picture unless somebody knows what kind I'm talking about...

This is not the one I have but similar...

01212_damikn0qfid_600x450 flip.jpg

Edited by BillyJack

16 minutes ago, tomp said:

Gerald,

For years, I worked off a pair of 2x4's on top of a pair of sawhorses with a piece of plywood on top of that. The goal when building the bench was to use that height as the minimum and the height of the saw table as a maximum, adjustable anywhere between those limits - and it's worked well so far. The only downside is that it really needs to be bigger, but I'm limited by needing to be able to move it between the table saw and my other bench.

You could solve that with a removable top or a drop down extension

18 minutes ago, Gerald said:

You could solve that with a removable top or a drop down extension

I've thought about that but, to be honest, it's not that often any more that I need a bigger bench - and then I go back to the sawhorses. This cabinet was a little out of the ordinary, and turned out to be a mistake, If I'd thought about it a little more up-front, I would have made it in two pieces as it's just too big for me to handle by myself, particularly now that it's in the finishing stages and has to be handled a lot more carefully - 30" wide x 18" deep x 72" tall, too much for me any more. And an extra top is something that needs to be stored.................

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_5000.JPG

IMG_4949.JPG