I made a comment on a previous post, and can’t find it. Whoever started the post had made some beautiful work on the lathe, and I mentioned it made me want to try turning. Then I asked about turning tools (Shopsmith ones) and it was mentioned to me that Easy Wood Tools is a sponsor. Plus I wouldn’t have to learn how to sharpen the tools, while learning how to turn. I’ma thinking my next present to myself might be a set of Easy Wood Tools, full size. Do we have a particular person/store/enterprise we should support? Or hammer the net, looking for a best price? Any opinions, advice, or comments welcome. Thank you.

What I’m curious about is rehandling them. @Jim from Easy Wood Tools I don’t have the biggest hands (tiny actually) but cause of surgery on my left hand there are days trying to grasp slender handles is rather annoying. So I’ve been rehandling tools to make it easier. Some are easier while others. Let’s just say maybe a step short of getting a welder and a torch. 

8 hours ago, Mijohnson1984 said:

What I’m curious about is rehandling them. @Jim from Easy Wood Tools I don’t have the biggest hands (tiny actually) but cause of surgery on my left hand there are days trying to grasp slender handles is rather annoying. So I’ve been rehandling tools to make it easier. Some are easier while others. Let’s just say maybe a step short of getting a welder and a torch. 

EWT sells unhandled tools- See the attached PDF

EWT_retail_demo_crt_price_sheetno-whlsever09-23-14_final.pdf

Artie, you may recall that I was the recipient of a set of three mid-sized EWT tools won in the Christmas raffle by Herb. Due to health problems in the family, I haven't had much chance to use them, but I HAVE tried them on an old blank my dad started years ago. They are truly amazing, and much easier to use than my HSS tools! As Jim suggests, give them a try. You'll be amazed.

John

Thanks again, @Dadio. GO, Harbor Freight! :D

Jim, I’m very much still in the “I don’t even know, what I don’t know” category of woodworking. I have a maybe 15 foot by 18 foot workshop in the basement, which must also be used for other purposes at times. I have a Shopsmith, and still haven’t used all of it’s features. With a lathe being one of them, it seems that if I had some turning tools, I could try it, see if I like it. I don’t really like labels. If I’m in my basement, having fun, hurting no one, and breaking no laws, then it doesn’t matter to me what terms are used to describe what I’m doing. And if there is an end result that I could give to someone and they would actually like it, then home run. In my mind, shaping a spinning piece of wood seems an epitome of woodworking. Now when I first try it, butcher the wood, eat sawdust, and send the turning tool halfway across the room (in other words, real life happening LOL) who knows if I’ll like it. I rather suspect it’s a capability I’m gonna want to have. Kinda like fishing-live bait, fly fishing, lure casting, night fishing, surf casting, multitudes of different ways of enjoying the sport, you wanna get reasonably competent with at least a couple of them. So for me, with Easy Wood being a sponsor here, the recommendations from people here, who’s opinions I value, and being a US made product, yeah that’s an easy decision.  So to get to the last real question I have, (now that I know to start with the midsize tools) does it matter who/where I buy them from? I have seen SEVERAL different projects people have made with their lathes that made me want to try making myself. From what I’ve read, one would also want a deflector shield? Seem to have a mostly positive review, with some not being able to keep them on tight. ) I’m wondering if some Loctite might help with that. Thank you for your help, Artie

Lew, in my younger, less experienced (I almost said stupider LOL) days I woulda just gone with safety glasses. Now having enough experience to understand that bad things can happen to ME, yeah a face shield might be a better option than one on the tool. I’ll have to look into what Woodcraft has, think I still have a gift certificate left over from Christmas :)  Thanks

36 minutes ago, lew said:

The deflector shield is nice. You should also consider a face shield

11191.jpg.fb01abe86f2ae37306d2270b33991295.jpg

I have this one and really like it. I think I got it off of Amazon but they also have them at Woodcraft as well as other retailers.

Yes should rate as high as ear muffs. Even though I don’t mind being dirty, I do mind foreign objects in my eyes.  

51 minutes ago, Artie said:

does it matter who/where I buy them from?

Always great to purchase straight from the fine folks at EWT. More profit for them, and a direct contact from you to them, being a Patriot Woodworker, they will know that their sponsorship is a good one here. Please mention you are a Patriot Woodworker.

You may even prefer to deal with @Jim from Easy Wood Tools directly.

Or

http://www.easywoodtools.com/

Thank you for your support of our sponsor Artie, it means the world to us, and them. :)

On one of the face shields I saw, they recommend/state that you should wear safety glasses/goggles underneath. Do you wear glasses/goggles underneath the shield? For turning do you wear masks/respirators? I’m not sure if turning creates more chips/shavings than sawdust, and therefore might not need a mask?

John, I have no problem voting with my wallet (as long as I can actually write the check LOL). Seems hypocritical to complain that nothings made in the USA and then buy a cheaper version from elsewhere. Now having said that, if the price difference is hundreds to thousands of dollars, well I gotta take care of the family. While researching scroll saws all I read was how nice a guy Ray at Seyco is. If I get to the point where I’m buying a new scroll saw, I’m planning on calling Ray.

John, I like the idea of full face protection, but not sure I need to double that up with glasses/goggles. Also not sure how much lung protection is needed during turning. I have found that when I use a ROS and it’s connected to the vac, I don’t need a dust mask, can’t smell anything wood.