Shop Vacuumn Recommendations

I have the 16gal Rigid and it’s always sucking up tools and larger pieces of scrap up. But I’ve only had it for a couple of months so I can’t say good or bad about it right now. I heard the new motors on the shopvacs is supposed to be pretty solid. If price isn’t a issue check out pulse-bac. It’s basically a DC system and not a vacuum persa.  

5 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Have one----useless--- oddball small hose and really doesn't suck well or hold much. Good for the wife for small jobs but useless in the shop. 

I wound up getting the RIDGID 12 gallon vac at HD.  Cost about $85.00.

Thank you all for your recommendations and suggestions.

It will be a while before I get to use it because my wife is still smelling smoke in the house from last night's basement barbeque and she gives me dirty looks when I head toward the basement.  I had to get some of those odor removers to get rid of the smoke smell. 

49 minutes ago, JIMMIEM said:

I had to get some of those odor removers to get rid of the smoke smell. 

Get some charcoal, cheap stuff works good.  Put in a pair of old panty hose or some other bag with a lot of holes.  Hang from ceiling till smell goes away.

I use this method to get rid of cat smell every spring.  My wife puts them in my back utility building every winter.  She thinks it is too cold outside for them.:JawDrop:

I would get a garbarge can and a dust deputy or something like a cyclone to removed all the heavy debris in the can and that way the filter in the vacum last a very long time.

I have one for you if you like but it was used with a delta blower style dust collector also for you if you like but it is 4" not 2" like the shop vac is.

I have since upgraded to a full blow dust collector system.

4 minutes ago, Michael Thuman said:

I would get a garbarge can and a dust deputy or something like a cyclone to removed all the heavy debris in the can and that way the filter in the vacum last a very long time.

I have one for you if you like but it was used with a delta blower style dust collector also for you if you like but it is 4" not 2" like the shop vac is.

I have since upgraded to a full blow dust collector system.

Thank you for the offer.

I have a Delta dust collector with a thien garbage can pre-separator....uses a 4" hose. I use this with my table saw and miter saws.  I usually just use the shop vacuum on my router table, jig saw, and biscuit joiner.  I don't let either one get too full. 

10 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Get some charcoal, cheap stuff works good.  Put in a pair of old panty hose or some other bag with a lot of holes.  Hang from ceiling till smell goes away.

I use this method to get rid of cat smell every spring.  My wife puts them in my back utility building every winter.  She thinks it is too cold outside for them.:JawDrop:

Do you get activated charcoal or use charcoal briquettes?

in case you need to know...

Step 1

Remove the charcoal and wash it w/ warm water and a couple of drops of dish washing liquid. Rinse well....

Step 2

Preheat the oven to 200°...

Step 3

Put the charcoal in the oven on an oven pan for about 10 minutes.

Step 4

Remove the charcoal from the oven...

Step 5

Let cool...

Step 6Put the charcoal back to work....

Just now, Stick486 said:

you need to refresh it everyday..

I mashed up a 20 pound bag of charcoal briquettes.  I put them inside an old pillow case and crushed them with a maul.  I filled plastic containers with the dust and chunks and set them out all around the basement. I even hung up the charcoal dust covered pillow case in the basement.  

Everyday you say?   

2 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

in case you need to know...

Step 1

Remove the charcoal and wash it w/ warm water and a couple of drops of dish washing liquid. Rinse well....

Step 2

Preheat the oven to 200°...

Step 3

Put the charcoal in the oven on an oven pan for about 10 minutes.

Step 4

Remove the charcoal from the oven...

Step 5

Let cool...

Step 6Put the charcoal back to work....

A lot of it is pretty fine and will probably dissolve in the water.  Did I crush it too much?

Also, I wound up with a 5 gallon pail full.

Edited by JIMMIEM
add info

3 minutes ago, JIMMIEM said:

I mashed up a 20 pound bag of charcoal briquettes.  I put them inside an old pillow case and crushed them with a maul.  I filled plastic containers with the dust and chunks and set them out all around the basement. I even hung up the charcoal dust covered pillow case in the basement.  

Everyday you say?   

that much...

every week, two at the most...