Shop Vacuumn Recommendations

I have to buy a new vacuum for my workshop.  I use it for general cleanup and attachment to my router table and for handheld plunge routing.  My 12 year old Ridgid croaked last night.....my fault.  Since I haven't bought one in all these years I don't know which manufacturers have excelled.  I was considering Shop-Vac (made in USA) but Ridgid, Craftsman reviews seem to be good.  I would like to max out at $100 - $150.

Thank You for your suggestions.

Jim, that Rigid lasted a good amount of time, if you were happy with it I'd stay with the brand. 

My Rigid is about 14 years old and going strong.

Good thing about Ridgid, you have your local big box store support, a whole lot of attachments and filter replacements on the shelf in stock. 

40 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Jim, that Rigid lasted a good amount of time, if you were happy with it I'd stay with the brand. 

My Rigid is about 14 years old and going strong.

Good thing about Ridgid, you have your local big box store support, a whole lot of attachments and filter replacements on the shelf in stock. 

It would still be going but I think the filter got clogged and it overheated.  It wasn't full but something went wrong.  I learned my lesson....check the filter more often.

49 minutes ago, lew said:

I picked up a Rigid at a moving sale. SUre a lot nicer than the old Craftsman I had.

My neighbor, who is a remodeling contractor, is in the process of moving as I type......he retired.....maybe he'll want to sell some tools instead of loading them on the moving truck.  When my brother moved a couple of years ago he offered me his vacuum....I didn't take it as I already had one.

38 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

How big or small of a unit are you looking for?  Found Rigid has several, all with good reviews but size goes from 3 gallon to 16 gallon.

I'll check the size of the dead one......it's in the back yard......hauled it out yesterday when it started smoking.

Just now, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Tell it to quit and Vape instead.:JawDrop:

It smoked its last.  Contents were smoldering when I hauled it outside.  Fortunately the flames didn't erupt until it was outside.  Had to hit it with the garden hose.  Set off the smoke detectors in the house.  The plastic started melting and filling the basement with smoke.

32 minutes ago, JIMMIEM said:

It smoked its last.  Contents were smoldering when I hauled it outside.  Fortunately the flames didn't erupt until it was outside.  Had to hit it with the garden hose.  Set off the smoke detectors in the house.  The plastic started melting and filling the basement with smoke.

Wow! That's some serious heat. Doesn't HD/Rigid offer a lifetime warranty? :ph34r:

22 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Wow! That's some serious heat. Doesn't HD/Rigid offer a lifetime warranty? :ph34r:

I believe they do,  but this thing is seriously cooked....they would probably have to send in a CSI team and then perform an autopsy.  I remember when I bought it.....HD had a large display in the front of the store.  The price was so good people were walking out with a few each.  I didn't think I registered it but I'll ask when I go to HD today. Stay tuned.

16 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

I've had good luck w/ Shop Vac..

I have a shop vac that I've had since last century.  It still runs but now I use it for wet work i.e. emptying toilets, etc.  I also have a small 1 gallon Shop Vac that I keep in my car trunk.  Lowe's carries them but according to the Shop Vac web site they are special Lowe's models so I'm not sure if they are Shop Vac's best line.

But, on another note I did place an order from W.L. Fuller.....a local company that you had recommended.

I had a "shop vac" brand vac many years ago but it only had the single layer paper filter (no pleated one back then).   It wouldn't suck the cement dust from the basement floor (long ugly story), so i purchased a sears vac with a pleated filter and it picked up the dust and would suck the paint off the floor.   When i bought it the sales person asked me if i wanted an extended warranty and i said: no, i know where your front window is over there; and somehow that subject got dropped.   It's still running fine and lives in the basement.   My newer Ridgid with pleated filter lives in the garage and is also still running fine.   I just listen for the sound of the motor and pull the filters out as needed, bang them against a tree and use the blower to blast the fine stuff out and away we go.   The sears one is almost identical to the Ridgid one and i wouldn't get surprised if they were both made by Emerson (back when they made stuff in the US).

Edited by p_toad
speeling is hardd