So I was picking up some moldy sweet gum tree stumps and the lady I’m getting them from says she’s selling for lathe cause she’s never used it and they are moving. The price is insane at 50 dollars. It’s a bench pro 4 speed wood lathe. I’ve been looking it up online and I get nothing. It’s a off/sub brand and just trying to get some info on before I pull the trigger on it. I’m going back tomorrow with my tools to see if it runs and turns nice. Anyone heard of it or has one maybe. 

0065A9D6-F15A-4FEE-864E-0024B9AAAEDF.jpeg

I’ve turned a few spindles and turned my first bowl tonight. So not a whole bunch. I figured as much on the quality, I have a record power rpml300c that I’ve got tuned up finally. Took forever to lap the bed flat and I still have a shimmy ever once and awhile. Belt is probably old and flexing to much.  That one would be for only spindle turning legs that or to transfer my current motor and tailstock on to. But Im not to sure I could do that even. So I’ll pass on it Thank you for the advice. 

Edited by Mijohnson1984

They look great I keep eyeing them at the store. Hoping they do a demo down here in Texas sometime. As for sharpening I don’t mind it. I’m always telling my son you have to learn how to do something by hand first before you learn how to use a power tool. Needless to say he is a excellent hand sander now. 😁

3 hours ago, Mijohnson1984 said:

They look great I keep eyeing them at the store. Hoping they do a demo down here in Texas sometime. As for sharpening I don’t mind it. I’m always telling my son you have to learn how to do something by hand first before you learn how to use a power tool. Needless to say he is a excellent hand sander now. 😁

Uh, huh! ...an excellent sander...well imagine that...:rolleyes:

Seriously, great job on a first attempt.

Edited by schnewj

5 minutes ago, Mijohnson1984 said:

Thank you as for my son I’m trying to teach him to take his time with things. His to impatient and wants things done quickly. It’s working so far but will see if it sticks. His only 9 so his got time. 

Good job! You might want to contact Curtis @Woodbutcherbynight. He has a teenager under his wing, who is really doing well, and might be able to offer some suggestions.

13 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Take a picture of what you have.  I have some extras I can send your way.  Starters for sure but hey they have been used and they turned some stuff without killing me.:JawDrop:

Lol I think my gouge has it out for me for sure. But here the picture the original handle cracked on the gouge so I used a extra spindle I had. 

image.jpg

38 minutes ago, Mijohnson1984 said:

Lol I think my gouge has it out for me for sure. But here the picture the original handle cracked on the gouge so I used a extra spindle I had.

I will look in morning and pull out some extras I have.  Done with shop time for today.  Goof off time has commenced.:JawDrop: