Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Last December, I read that Peter Jackson (producer of Hobbit series) had made a documentary of WWI using original 100-year-old original footage that he modified to a slower speed with colors, etc. He hired lip readers to get what the GIs said, then had people with local dialects repeat the verbiage. I was watching for it to arrive in theaters here, and read that last night was the last of a 3-day showing!!!! Double-diddly da****!! Original footage with GI dialog is priceless.

By popular demand, they are offering 2 more showings. I'll be first in line!! :OldManSmiley:

What's the film called Hat?

1 hour ago, John Morris said:

What's the film called Hat?

Gene is right. Sorry I left the title out of my original post. It is called "They Shall Not Grow Old". I'm going tomorrow night! :Cheer:

Edited by hatuffej

Update: I watched the film last evening and was disappointed. It started with original footage showing hundreds of European men being recruited for the war effort. The showing was in original format, small and grey. Then it was expanded to full-size with color. The footage was excellent in that I could see the guys as they went through training, shipping out to the front, and the actual trench fighting, including carnage. The disappointing part was the dialog from the soldiers was given by 4-5 narrators off-screen, speaking in European accent, and I couldn't follow it. I missed about 90% of the dialog because either the sound rendition of the film or the sound system of the theater was poor. I wanted to understand what the men were saying, what they felt, etc. I know that in the later stages of the war the men on both sides were really down and didn't want to fight anymore. The film shows Euro soldiers being friendly with German POWs. There were a lot of "boys" aged 15 to 16 who went in. What a truly horrible war. :(

It's on Amazon Prime Video.  But I've see the series WW2 and WW1 in color, and I doubt that there's much footage left that hasn't been shown.  (The Big Deal?  Computerized colorization of the original b/w film, which is cool.)  I also find that the scripts are not always accurate, nor even chronologically correct (I'm a history buff).  I always like the scene from June 1940's invasion of France.  With Tiger tanks.  Yeah, that works.