4 hours ago, schnewj said:

I was lucky to have some really good, experienced, contractor superintendents over my years of overseeing construction and maintenance activities. Knowing that our "design engineers" usually didn't have a clue, or care that the piping interfered with the electrical or the shut off valves were under a catwalk and unreachable, usually, found a safe and solid work-a-round/design change.

Many times I had to go over the "engineer's" head a force them to sign off on the field change. Most were arrogant, "I can do no wrong", until their boss saw how really inept and uncooperative they really were. Without that field experience available we would have built/installed some really crappy things.

I have more respect and trust for people with actual field experience then I do for most engineers with NO field experience.

I have had the same  experience many times, and had to redraw the  problem and submit it to the Architect for approval,so that the inspector would buy it off when it was completed.

Herb

On 4/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Think of it like this, it is like a 2nd language.  If you learned and can use both it expands your knowledge and ability.  That said I find it hard sometimes to not mix the English with the Ukrainian when speaking.   :lol:

Okay,  sometimes when I want to really let someone have it prudence demands I use Ukrainian.  This way I stay employed.:JawDrop:

or Vietnamese ?

We had maybe 3 hours of classroom instruction and about that much on the range. The next day, we qualified. IIRC, I qualified once more in the remaining 6 years in the USAF. Didn't touch a firearm in the line of duty the last 5 years. I guess the AF figured that if it came to the point where we needed to shoot the enemy, we were doomed, anyway.

The military seems to use metric measurements.....how are they able to train everybody that may have never used metric measurements?  Also, medical folks use the metric system too.

Anybody remember back in the 70's (1970's) when the US tried out metric gasoline pumps with liters....that experiment didn't seem to last long.  I think the plan was to wait for the next generation to come along and reintroduce the metric system then. 

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Hope we don't go to kilometers. I'd have to drive farther to town.

It would only seem farther.  I can't keep the conversion straight so I do a quick review every time I go into a bathroom....the toilet water flush consumption is 1 gallon / 3.785 liters per flush. 

9 hours ago, Dadio said:

@JIMMIEM

Is that in the tank,or the bowl? before? or after?

Did you measure it?  Old style toilet,or new economy flush, or the air tank assisted?

Herb

Those are excellent, thought provoking questions that will require further in depth research.  I may turn this over to the folks at Consumer Reports.....they're really into stuff like this.  I was just quoting what was printed on the porcelain.