1 hour ago, HandyDan said:

Once learned the metric system would be easier.  IMHO.

Probably but, why bother? In my junk drawer sits a Stanley tape measure in inches and 1/10ths. Not metric but it provides the same ease of calculation. I have to admit, when measuring is critical, I do use it. That's rare, though. 

33 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

Probably but, why bother? In my junk drawer sits a Stanley tape measure in inches and 1/10ths. Not metric but it provides the same ease of calculation. I have to admit, when measuring is critical, I do use it. That's rare, though. 

Standardization.  Ever try to measure mounting holes on something and wonder why they put them 7 and 31/64 appox. inches apart?  Well it was probably 19cm.

Edited by HandyDan

34 minutes ago, Ron Altier said:

I do not use it because all that is used here in the US is our standard system.

Plywood comes in metric sizes rebranded to be standard.

Ask any auto tech how much industry mixes standard with metric.  We all have to own two sets of everything, metric and standard.

One thing that really bugs me is they seem to no longer teach even how to use Imperial measurements.  The apprentice I have working with me in the evenings needed to start from ground zero to understand fractions.  Oddly he prefers metric, still made him learn both though.  :)

There are certainly a very many pursuits that require strict standardisation and a high level of precision. IMHO, most woodworking isn't one of them. Metric or imperial is of little consequence to us who don't use either. So what, if plywood isn't a true 3/4" ? I build to fit. Not to some arbitrary measurement. 

35 minutes ago, Dadio said:

Really it is all numerical, all you really have to know is how to count the little black marks.

I will say the metric little black marks seem easier to count,I think in imperial,but use both by just counting the marks.

Herb

...so, an inch and an eigth is 1 and four ticks? :TwoThumbsUp:

4 hours ago, schnewj said:

...so, an inch and an eigth is 1 and four ticks? :TwoThumbsUp:

2 ticks if ea.tick is 1/16, and 4 ticks if ea. tick is 1/32, and 8 ticks if ea. tick is 1/64 ,But it is when I measure something I will just take the  number plus so many black marks and I don't care what the black marks are, kind of like mark and cut, like Gene does.

I like math, but when an architect puts the rise of a set of stairs in as 6  5/18"  I go bonkers,and I have had that happen.

Herb

20 minutes ago, Roly said:

You do realize WoodGears.com does do April Fools day jokes and this project was marked April, 2019 on the video.    Just saying .    Roly

I'm a bit slow but, suspicion did set in when he started with the math. 

Edited by Gene Howe

13 hours ago, Dadio said:

2 ticks if ea.tick is 1/16, and 4 ticks if ea. tick is 1/32, and 8 ticks if ea. tick is 1/64 ,But it is when I measure something I will just take the  number plus so many black marks and I don't care what the black marks are, kind of like mark and cut, like Gene does.

I like math, but when an architect puts the rise of a set of stairs in as 6  5/18"  I go bonkers,and I have had that happen.

Herb

I was lucky to have some really good, experienced, contractor superintendents over my years of overseeing construction and maintenance activities. Knowing that our "design engineers" usually didn't have a clue, or care that the piping interfered with the electrical or the shut off valves were under a catwalk and unreachable, usually, found a safe and solid work-a-round/design change.

Many times I had to go over the "engineer's" head a force them to sign off on the field change. Most were arrogant, "I can do no wrong", until their boss saw how really inept and uncooperative they really were. Without that field experience available we would have built/installed some really crappy things.

I have more respect and trust for people with actual field experience then I do for most engineers with NO field experience.

6  5/18" rise! Boy, I would love to have had a conversation with whoever signed off on those drawings.