Can't tell the players without a score-card!

I have long considered Skil as a non-pro, Joe Garage, DIY tool line, with the possible exception of their worm-drive circular saws.  (I don't know if it's still true, but the brand used to be part of Bosch).  Now that's changing, https://www.protoolreviews.com/tools/power/cordless/drills-drivers-cordless/skil-20v-brushless-impact-driver-review/44407/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=skil_makes_us_question_their_diy_status_plus_our_latest_giveaway_and_more&utm_term=2019-04-03

Stanley Black & Decker has acquired a bunch of lines and is now re-inventing Craftsman tools that are being sold in Ace, Menards, Lowe's and Home Depot.  I don't know if they've engineered better tools and just made them red and black or not.    And the Porter-Cable line, long a dependable pro-line tool, are largely drifting down and DeWalt is/has emerged in that role.

I guess now you'll have to do a lot of research before buying a new tool and not just rely on the color scheme.

10 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

It's a scary world out there. Ace has a pretty good return policy, though. But, any power tool with the Craftsman name on it still scares me. Time will tell, I guess.

You are right Gene, Craftsman didn't build their reputation over night the first time, and relying on that old reputation now, doesn't cut it in my opinion.  I never considered them a top brand for the trades, but they were a darn good home owner brand. They could never stand the abuse that tradesman give their tools, and home owners didn't give them the constant use,maintained them better,never threw them in a gang box with dozens of heavy tools thrown in on top of them at the end of the day.

Herb