TGIF: Faux barn wood

kmealy

I don't care much for it, but if you wish to engage in this (and it might just be a current fad).   There are some ways to simulate it.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/woodworking/how-to-make-your-own-barn-wood/?fbclid=IwAR2F_PJvolB7RU4HKeUJp9hz6OD4WZQMazed_RwCmvJNEZe6wpcJRhbYmXY&trkid=soc-fhm-facebook

or a "weathered wood stain."

1 hour ago, Cal said:

I attempt this from time to time for picture frames.  I will have to give this stuff a try.  Thanks Keith,

I like barns and have a few prints of barns that I have framed.  One of them was made from an aged 2x2 tomato stake that I got from my dad's barn.  I had to make sure the cut edges were all hidden.   That's about the only "weathered wood" I have.   But I have to fix a scratch in a weathered wood farm dining table today.   Hate it.

2019_03280001.JPG.eccb2592907c6c09903dcc180093062f.JPG

2 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

never saw the inside of a chemistry lab. 

Chem was always my weak point (except for concrete), but I do forensic searches on the web a lot, and it was easy to find the specs for the Varathane and figure out what makes it pop.  Then a search on Amazon is usually a mind-clearer for technical things.  If they sell it on line, it can't be that bad.  For example, I couldn't find sarin on Amazon.  Quel disappointmente.

1 hour ago, PeteM said:

If they sell it on line, it can't be that bad.  For example, I couldn't find sarin on Amazon.  Quel disappointmente.

But Wikipedia will show you how to make it. I got a half pound of cyanide capsules on Amazon. When our friends found out, they quit dropping by for coffee. Solved our prairie dog infestation, too. :ph34r: