Help us help a Wounded Warrior's Family Christmas

Join us in our annual Adopt a Warrior Family for Christmas Project, enter the raffle to help us raise funds for our adopted family!

Our Adopt a Warrior Project has ended, please standby for announcements!

double sided tape stuck

Rate this topic

I used some double sided tape to sitick my peieces togeher while I sanded the arc I had cut smooth and I cannot unstick them.

Directions say heat the surfaces with a heat gun and once to hot to touch the tape should be pliable enough to peel them apart.

My question is how to I heat the wood without hurting it.  

Bake it at 200F  or use a heat gun and risk leaving burn marks.

Help please

Should be no issue using either Denatured Alcohol or Acetone. Worst it will do is slightly raise the grain since it's oak but assume you still have sanding and sealing to do yet anyway?

FWIW, usually only a few small strips of double-side tape is needed to secure a template or two pieces together for sanding. 

Acetone, mineral spirits, alchol all failed.  The only thing that worked was to bake it 200F for 30 min.

Probably could have gone to 250F for 45.  Then with considerable force I could move the peices apart limitedly.

I think slipped in a thin knife and cut the glue in half.  

And it worked I parted them then got most of the glue off. 

Lesson learned never use this stuff again.

Actually logging a correct Acetone is the solvet but you could not get enough of it in the joints to remove the adheavise.  

While attempt to clean the knife the Acetone works ge

Edited by Michael Thuman
Update
1 hour ago, Michael Thuman said:

Acetone, mineral spirits, alchol all failed.  The only thing that worked was to bake it 200F for 30 min.

Probably could have gone to 250F for 45.  Then with considerable force I could move the peices apart limitedly.

I think slipped in a thin knife and cut the glue in half.  

And it worked I parted them then got most of the glue off. 

Lesson learned never use this stuff again.

Try using smaller pieces on some scraps.  I had the same problem and in this case sometimes less is more.  I use what they call turners tape and have good success with it.  You may also want to check this video too.