Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

The Patriot Woodworkers with Operation Ward 57 Adopt a Wounded Warrior Family for the Holidays - 2019 project is live, please click on link to view our very special annual project.

Rate this topic

I searched the site for ideas for dust collection on my compound miter saw station. I started work on a bandsaw blade storage rack yesterday and used the cms for the first time in a good while. It's a barely used Dewalt model DWS780 12 In. Double Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw, barely used because of the mess it was making and waiting on me to remedy the situation. My first inclination was to use the miter gauge and table saw but realized how ridiculous that was when I had a perfectly good tool well suited for the job right behind me. The table saw could do the job but not as safely or quickly as I needed angle cuts on small pieces. Anyway I've pondered this subject for some time and need to do something right or wrong. A bit of info, I have a 6" DC line at the station from the ceiling. My thought was that the sawdust would be collected from the top but now I think that's wrong. Gravity wins in all these cases. While the sawdust may be airborne for a short while it always falls to the base. While constructing a sanding box it dawned on me that maybe that's what I needed fro the miter station but on the top or bottom? Maybe both?  I have that 6" DC pipe above and a dual 4" blastgate to run 2 separate 4" lines just like I did for my router table (fence and router enclosure) which works extremely well.

On the miter station hood I have tapered the walls to allow full range of the saw but restricting the volume. The real question now is how to use the utilise those two 4" lines? Initially I was going to go from the top with a drop at each side but away from the corners. The problem with testing this is once you cut the holes there are there some testing is a bit of a problem. The hood is on top of course and the bottom of the cabinet is open at this point. The saw sits on the base that has 3/4" plywood and 3/4" MDF. I may have to install some stretchers as I think the width is 34". I have access from top and bottom and a 4" piece of PVC can fit behind the unit as it's 5-1/2" off the wall. I'd have to cut a square access in the back and then make a cover to clean it up after the pipe/hose is run. There's no way I'm moving that 16' station even with 2 people without disconnecting each piece. They are basically 4 base cabinets attached to each other with a wider mid cabinet for the saw. 

The opening in the hood for the saw has some heavier plastic cut into strips like the warehouses use as door curtains and solid panels where movement wouldn't restrict it to contain the sawdust while being flexible to allow the saw to be positioned as needed. So do we have any air dynamics experts here to solve the puzzle or for that matter anyone who has beat this beast? The DC is a CV1800 with a 16" steel impeller and a 5 HP motor. The installed unit is shown here and the next 2 pages.

So for as much clarity as I can achieve I've uploaded another page on the miter saw station. Somewhere I may have stated it was 16' but in actuality it's 10'4" overall. Not sure where the 16' was, maybe the last fish I caught....

Anyway the miter station page is here

Any suggestions would certainly be welcomed,thanks.

-Steve

Edited by sreilly24590

3 hours ago, sreilly24590 said:

I searched the site for ideas for dust collection on my compound miter saw station.

a large rectangular storage tub laid over on it's side placed behind the saw w/ twin independent 4'' (or better) DC taps to the bottom of the tub. not the back...

I like the curtain you put in as it will help. That intake above the saw may not be the best ideas because it will not get the stuff thrown at the middle of the box. I have a box underneath the saw and the pipe comes from ceiling to side of box. Form above to back of saw is better but no room here. The pic is a little out of date as I have enlarged the hood. It does not get everything but beats the alternative. Sorry I do not have any PIP to show the build.1026382671_CMSbench.JPG.2e16ad668e0b3d8243c0be5946766ad2.JPG

59 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

a large rectangular storage tub laid over on it's side placed behind the saw w/ twin independent 4'' (or better) DC taps to the bottom of the tub. not the back..

I have that drawn out but have yet to get it done.  Was looking at benchtop Bandsaw upgrade so I can stop changing blades on my full size JET.

3 hours ago, Gerald said:

Sorry I do not have any PIP to show the build.

Okay it is very impressive as other mentioned.  Of note to me, do you have a need to blast the neighbors out?  Because those speakers are HUGE!!!!:Laughing:

Thanks Nick,

I do have a 30 gal can almost full I could spread across the floor if that makes it look better:) I vacuum it after each use so our golden doesn't walk it through the house. If that happens I'm the one in the dog house and that's one place I try very hard to avoid. Happy wife, happy life! That and a box of Godiva truffles each month keeps me golden for now or at least up till I come back from the Woodworking Show. After that I may need far more redeeming depending on how convincing the demos and deep the discounts are. Just saying I may have to go dark for a while afterwards.Temptation is a bear for some of us.

Edited by sreilly24590

On 3/10/2019 at 8:49 PM, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Okay it is very impressive as other mentioned.  Of note to me, do you have a need to blast the neighbors out?  Because those speakers are HUGE!!!!:Laughing:

Thanks. Those were left from old stero and had to put them somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

My neighbor 4 houses up has two of that size.  It's like being at a concert sitting on front row.  4 houses down!  :Laughing:

That is only for while I am in the yard. Mmmmm may have something to do with my hearing.

This is my Mk-II shroud app.  Note the hole in the bench behind the MS:  that's the 16x20 scoop, 4" DC connection, down (yeah, grav always wins).  MS' are known for their difficulty in dust capture.  Note I don't even try to use the on-tool DC port.  I like the clear plastic because it allows a lot of light in.  Capture is about 90% gross particulate.  Fine particulate is about 99.9%.  Note screen over back bench opening (blue edge tape frames the screen):  yeah, without that I consistently drop things into the hole.

IMG_1362.JPG.124ccea48a7540bda5747f07741101f8.JPG

On 3/10/2019 at 6:24 PM, Woodbutcherbynight said:

I have that drawn out but have yet to get it done.  Was looking at benchtop Bandsaw upgrade so I can stop changing blades on my full size JET.

I noticed that subject has been idle for over a week. I was looking at the Rikon's also. 

5 hours ago, PeteM said:

yeah, without that I consistently drop things into the hole.

You haven't found my pencils in there by chance have you Pete? Not sure, but there may be a drill bit set and tape measure too. :lol:

BTW...nice set-up...sounds like it gets most of it.

2 hours ago, CharlieL said:

I noticed that subject has been idle for over a week. I was looking at the Rikon's also. 

Highland Woodworking in Atlanta has both in stock.  The older version 10-305 is $229 plus tax, the newer version 10-306 is $349 plus tax.  

This is the 10-305

IMG_20190310_151211924.jpg.dbe6acfa4b9e5282e93441251280a4f1.jpg  This is the 10-306  IMG_20190310_151217118.jpg.dfa6099856937e95b78cf02e666a6680.jpg