Spalted box

Gerald

Absolutely beautiful, I love that spalted maple.

Hey Gerald, purely semantics, but when does a vessel become a box, or a box become a vessel?

Box: a container with a flat base and sides, typically square or rectangular and having a lid.

"a cereal box"

Notice I bolded "typically" because that leaves room for other interpretations. I am not being a smarty here, I truly do want to know if in the turning world, there are flip flops on the terminology, and when to use them, I know larger round containers would be called vessels, or a bowl if there was not a cover or top.

Late to the party, as usual. All the great descriptive adjectives have been used, too!

I really like the finish and how well the spalted pecan and oak match together. The smooth finish must have required the addition of, at least, a little CA.

Super turning, Gerald!

Edited by lew

5 hours ago, John Morris said:

Absolutely beautiful, I love that spalted maple.

Hey Gerald, purely semantics, but when does a vessel become a box, or a box become a vessel?

Box: a container with a flat base and sides, typically square or rectangular and having a lid.

"a cereal box"

Notice I bolded "typically" because that leaves room for other interpretations. I am not being a smarty here, I truly do want to know if in the turning world, there are flip flops on the terminology, and when to use them, I know larger round containers would be called vessels, or a bowl if there was not a cover or top.

I made a box one time dovetailed all 12 edges. It didn't have a way to get inside so I was told it wasn't a box.

HErb

Thanks for the comments. No CA Lew, just satin finish lacquer and the polish.

@John Morris a box is small and can be held in one hand and has a top (my definition) . Boxes can be round , square , or any other shape or combination of within that definition. Sure this could be a lidded bowl but box sounds much cooler.

2 minutes ago, Gerald said:

Thanks for the comments. No CA Lew, just satin finish lacquer and the polish.

@John Morris a box is small and can be held in one hand and has a top (my definition) . Boxes can be round , square , or any other shape or combination of within that definition. Sure this could be a lidded bowl but box sounds much cooler.

That'll work for me. :TwoThumbsUp: